A monstrance

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
amena
contributor

A monstrance

Post by amena »

Hi everyone
I was asked to identify some sacred vessels, including this monstrance.
On the three flat parts of the foot there are some marks that I have never seen before and which frankly don't even seem like hallmarks to me.
What do you think? Has anyone ever seen something similar?
Thaks for attention
Amena
dognose
Site Admin

Re: A monstrance

Post by dognose »

Hi Amena,

Maybe Israel? See: https://www.925-1000.com/foreign_marks4.html

Trev.
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

I would not rule out Mexico, Eagle Mark, the domestic mark 1948 to 1980.
The Eagle Mark featured a number on the eagle's breast. These numbers, ranging from 1 to the highest known number of 219, initially indicated the city location where the item was marked and not necessarily made; for example, the number 1 represented Mexico city. Some numbers were assigned to an artisan or even company name.
The eagle marks were designed primarily for silver items that were intended for export. The design of the Eagle Mark went through a revision in 1955, when the circular frame-shape was replaced by a contoured outline. This new simpler format of the Eagle Mark utilized the silhouette of the eagle, allowing the number to be more prominently visible. Over time, the eagle design was simplified even more to the point that these marks have been misidentified as either a bell(1955-1962) or ship (post-1962).

Peter.

Source; Danusia V. Niklewicz, Lindy L. Matula, William B. Whetstone, World Hallmarks Volume II Asia, Middle East, Africa Hallmark Research Institute page 208-209
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

::::: Brazil has sort of similar hallmarks, and often uses the number "10" so is it possible that the "9-1/2" denotes a slightly lesser silver fineness and the marks are somehow from Brazil? ::::::
amena
contributor

Post by amena »

Thanks everyone for the contribution.
However, they are difficult roads to travel, I found very little information on the internet about Mexican, Brazilian or Israeli stampings. Especially from the 19th century, as the style would suggest.
I haven't seen the item in person, and the photos aren't the best.
In two photos taken from a different angle, in one it seems to read 95, in the other DS.
And why mark the foot of the monstrance in three different points?
I will try, if possible, to obtain more information and above all to understand whether it is silver or silverplate.
Regards
Amena
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

::::: An unmarked 800 silver monstrance is imported to Brazil? The retail shop in Brazil can't mark it "10" because 10 Dinihieros is equal to 833 and this object is 800 so the retail shop does the best it can and marks it "9-1/2" because that is very close to the 800 fineness mark. The "acorn shape" cartouche is on the list of Brazilian silver hallmarks, but there is no exact match to your hallmarks. Would like to see that "squished hallmark" in more detail. ::::::

Return to “Other Countries”