Hallmark: "castle", "W", "crown&quo

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Krista

Hallmark: "castle", "W", "crown&quo

Post by Krista »

I have searched every online source I can find and have not been able to identify this hallmark. The silverplated stand has a "castle", "W", and a "crown". Please see submitted photos.

Can anyone help??

Krista

[/img]
2209patrick
co-admin

Post by 2209patrick »

Hello Krista.
I have not been able to pin down who used that set of marks.
Thought I found a clue when I saw that mark with a design patent number.
All I found was a Charles S. Beller and a cigarette pack promo stand.

Maybe someone else who understands patents better than me can help us out.

Pat.
Krista

"castle" "w" "crown"

Post by Krista »

It's been a year since I posted my last plea for help and I'm still trying to solve the origins of this hallmark -- can anyone help???

Krista
micadee0109

Post by micadee0109 »

I just added this to a list of unidentified marks in this forum, which I researched early last year and found. When I've finished reading the forum, I will check my records and post the company/makers' names.

Right now, I'm up to September 2008. I should be finished shortly, after which I will collapse into bed. Researching my records will therefore have to wait until tomorrow.

Michael
michaelb5452

Re: Hallmark: "castle", "W", "crown&quo

Post by michaelb5452 »

I have just come accross the same marks and need a maker.
I have a silver-plated tray 9+1/2" by 6+1/2"
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Welcome to the Forum.

Please start at new thread with images of your item and the marks. There a thousands of of plater's marks, many very similar to others.

Trev.
theboyfriend

Re: Hallmark: "castle", "W", "crown"

Post by theboyfriend »

The last reply in this thread is pretty old. I am wondering if anyone ever got an answer, as I have come upon a warming dish(?) with the same Castle, Crown and W mark, plus another mark. I haven't found this in the research I've done so far... Who made this? The marks are on two of the pieces, so I have a photo that includes both, as certain elements are better visible from one to the next. I have included the URL's for the photos at PhotoBucket, as for some reason the BBCode thing here has a problem with them... I hope this is a workable solution for you all. Thanks!

http://s1254.photobucket.com/user/Piasb ... 4.jpg.html

http://s1254.photobucket.com/user/Piasb ... 3.jpg.html
mbutac1230

Post by mbutac1230 »

i too have somewhat of the same piece as the above poster with the same markings. i too am wondering who the maker is. this is the closest i got to finding anything on it. i know this post it old (2007) but im hoping by now someone can shed some light on it. thanks in advance for any help pointing me in the direction of finding the maker or any info. on the peice.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Welcome to the Forum.

Please start a new topic with images of your item and the marks.

As stated earlier in this topic, there a thousands of of plater's marks, many very similar to others.

Trev
puddlesfoxy

Post by puddlesfoxy »

It's been a while since these posts, but I too have a silver plate tray with the same silver mark. It is a reticulated serving tray with three compartments. The mark on the back is a tower, "W" and crown. Seems like the company made serving trays and dishes as well as a cigarette pack promo stand patented by Charles S. Beller. Mr. Beller lived in Brooklyn and filed for the patent on 9/15/1949. It was patented 6/6/1950. So suspect the company was operating at least in the early 1950s. Link to a cigarette holder with the same mark below.

< Suspect link removed by moderator - please only link to your own pictures >

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!
mariykai

Post by mariykai »

Where did you get the info about Beller? I cant find any information about him online
silvermakersmarks
co-admin

Post by silvermakersmarks »

Charles S Beller looks a very likely candidate for this mark. I did a Google search for the name and found a couple of completed auctions for a cracker holder and a cigarette stand both of which show the mark in question and which have been attributed to Beller by the relevant sellers. The cigarette stand is patented by Beller as USD158833S. To be completely sure about the attribution we need to see a definite link; for example can we prove that Beller made the cigarette stand himself rather than letting another company use the design.

Phil
silvermakersmarks
co-admin

Post by silvermakersmarks »

It looks like Charles S Beller is the patentee of the cigarette stand but not the manufacturer. I have done a bit of genealogical research and in the 1950 US Census there is a Charles S Beller, aged 38, living in Ocean Avenue, Kings, New York. His occupation is given as Attorney working in his own business. I think we need to continue searching for the manufacturer.

Return to “Silverplate Trademarks - Worldwide”