Mexico Silver - Need Hallmark ID - Pendant

Jewelry, Flatware & Holloware
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
MikeSD

Mexico Silver - Need Hallmark ID - Pendant

Post by MikeSD »

I've looked at the website and can't find this particular hallmark. I'm trying to find the creator, and/or date it was likely made.
The pendant is about 30mm x 20mm, and weighs about 0.6 oz (17g)

Thanks
dognose
Site Admin

Re: Mexico Silver - Need Hallmark ID - Pendant

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Welcome to the Forum.

Please embed your images as very few members will click on links.

https://postimages.org (choose 'Share', then copy the 'Hotlink for forums' code) is recommended. Do not use Photobucket or Dropbox.

Remember to use the 'Preview' button before submitting your post.

For more information see:

http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic ... 82#p103282

Give some time to creating your posts and we'll give some time to researching and answering them.

Trev.
MikeSD

Post by MikeSD »

I really botched my first post. Admins can delete the links and the extra posts before this one if they want.

Clarification: I've looked at the website and can't find this particular hallmark. I'm trying to find the creator, and/or date it was likely made.

The pendant is about 30mm x 20mm, and weighs about 0.6 oz (17g)

Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

:::::: A similar hallmark has been noted as an attempt to imitate Native American hallmarks. ::::::

:::::::: I find it difficult to believe that someone would attempt to imitate the Mexican silver hallmarks from the 1930s and 1940s, but it is possible that this is an imitation piece (most likely from China) especially noting the crude details of the casting process, the imitation turquoise, and the crude lettering/font of the hallmark. ::::::::::

:::::: I almost hope I am incorrect, but this seems to be an imitation of Mexican silver hallmarks made by a modern factory in China. ::::::::
MikeSD

Post by MikeSD »

It could be imitation or fake. But why fake turquoise that appears to be a better quality stone. Why make the setting cheap looking, and the stone nice. Who would do that? I know, the Chinese. :)

I don't this is modern Chinese, because of how I acquired it. It's been around for decades. It looks old. I figured it might have been made by soeone who was just making jewelry at home. 'If it is imitation hallmark, who's hallmark are they trying to imitate. You said examples have been noted. Link?

The stone is very hard. I tried to scratch it with a very sharp knife, while I was removing some stain on the piece. The stain was on the silver, and spilled over onto the stone. I left the stain on the silver but did scrape the stain off the stone. I figured, if it's fake, it will probably scratch, it's no big loss. It wasn't expensive. But I couldn't scratch it. And it does look nice. I have a gem person I go to for stuff like this. I may have him put it into another setting. He only based his opinion, on the photo, like you. His thought was it didn't look like turquoise. I think that's the first thought of everyone. A large piece of uniform material, with no matrix, shouts fake.

What makes you think the stone is fake? Color? No Matirx? I mean these can be found, without matrix and with this color, It just seems odd that someone would go to the trouble to make a crude setting and put a nicer stone in it. Maybe that's how they catch people like me. :)

I have a lot of turquoise. I've tinkered with testing to see what various treatments do. But this one is not like I've seen before. Like I said, very hard.

I just thought if I could identify the hallmark, then I have more to go on.

Thanks for taking the time to look at it.

Mike

Return to “Mexican Silversmiths”