newbie! kupittaan kulta makers mark and info?

MARK IMAGE REQUIRED
hattysattic

newbie! kupittaan kulta makers mark and info?

Post by hattysattic »

Hello there,

I inherited a silver necklace/pendant from my grandmother a few years ago which I think is from Finland (sorry I couldn't manage a photo, my camera refuses to focus so I gave up..). It has the anvil mark, which I just wanted to check I was correct in assuming to be for the maker (or company) Kupittaan Kulta?

The marks on the rear of the pendant are the anvil, with a 925S next to it. There is also what I took to be NB in little rectangular stamp, which I initially thought was a designers initials. I am wondering if it is infact N8 and a date stamp... but according to the fantastic encyclopedia here that would be 1990. That just seems a bit late for her to have received it (it was a gift from a friend she made during ww2 who later moved to 'somewhere scandinavian' according to my grandfather - and they corresponded throughout the 60s and 70s as far as I know)

I am just trying to establish how old it may be, so does anyone know if/when Kupittaan Kulta ceased production?

Many thanks in advance for your help!

Harriet :)
Matulda
contributor

Post by Matulda »

Kupittaan Kulta Oy (Oy means Co) in Turku has indeed an anvil mark, and they used this mark between 1945 and 1997, so N8 could very well be a correct date mark.
hattysattic

Post by hattysattic »

Thank you very much!
carmel

Post by carmel »

This reply is probably about 6 months late, but here goes: I have two small Kupittaan Kulta pendants, both with an NB mark. They are obviously in the same series - a narrow rectangle with pierced and gold-washed motif. One is a cat and the other has three crosses.

The reason I believe NB to be a maker's initials is that one also has the date letters X7 (1975) which seems appropriate to the style of the pieces.
Juls1969

Re: newbie! kupittaan kulta makers mark and info?

Post by Juls1969 »

Sorry for the very late reply, just saw your post.
NB stands for Nina Breddal as importer. Your piece was imported to another country from Finland.
Hope that helps :o)
AG2012
contributor

Re: newbie! kupittaan kulta makers mark and info?

Post by AG2012 »

Nina Breddal is known to have imported Scandinavian jewelry (Kupittaan Kulta included). Beside NB initials there should be London import mark as shown here.
Regards

Return to “Silver Jewelry - Single Image”