Unknown Maker Coin Silver(?) Sugar Spoon

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Gmgs silverplate

Unknown Maker Coin Silver(?) Sugar Spoon

Post by Gmgs silverplate »

silverly

Re: Unknown Maker Coin Silver(?) Sugar Spoon

Post by silverly »

I believe the spoon is coin silver going by the pseudo marks. Can you make out more of the name than appears in the image. I think I see D D Po…. It seems likely to be a retailer’s stamp.
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

Concentrate on the presumed wholesaler marks as such: Star/????/Eagle. [Actually, a “mullet of six points”, but we’re cutting it to a simple form.] How do you read those marks, which might necessitate cleaning out first? The problem with the maker or retailer mark is that it might also be “D. D. Location”, like Boston or other….odd form for single punch but not unheard of. [It does seem less likely than dual punches as you move onward later to when these wholesaler marks are more common.]
silvermaid

Post by silvermaid »

I believe it is marked “D.D.R. Ormsby” for Daniel Ormsby, a New York Silversmith.
wev
contributor

Post by wev »

The wholesale marks are Joseph Seymour & Company of Syracuse NY. They were one of the major bulk manufacturers of silver flatware and held several design patents. D. D. R. Ormsby of Homer NY is known to have been one of their retail customers.
The obscured center design is a capital S

Return to “Coin Silversmiths ~ American pre-1860”