Silver bag bracket Dutch, Maker?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Vantlicht

Silver bag bracket Dutch, Maker?

Post by Vantlicht »

This wonderful bag bracket with Moses and the daughter of the Farao on it, is clearly marked. Except the WE is a makersmark that I can't find.
In my opinion it doesn't fit with the other marks. Could somebody help me out? Thanks in advance!

oel
co-admin

Re: Silver bag bracket Dutch, Maker?

Post by oel »

Your silver bag bracket.
The year letter G is for 1916, you should expect to find an office mark/Minerva head, with the regional assay office letter C voor The Hague.
Like you write at your own selling website; I think I recognize WE. This could stand for W. Edeling from Schoonhoven, active from 1896 to 1924.
Willem Edeling, yes he started as silversmith in Schoonhoven on 26-6-1896. In Schoonhoven het used the maker's mark W.E. in rectangle. However, on 9-6-1910 Willem stopped working in Schoonhoven and moved to The Hague. In The Hague he worked as a silversmith and trader in gold and silver from 1910 till 1931. In The Hague he used the maker's mark WE above* in rectangle. I believe your purse bracket is made/sold by Willem Edeling in The Hague.

Perhaps on your sales website you could mention the 925-1000 forum as one of the sources of your information.

Peter.

Source; Zilversmeden van de stad Schoonhoven S.A.C. Begeer, E. Hak, L. Linhart-du Cloux
Netherlands' Responsibility marks from 1797 Waarborg Gouda, edition 2009.
Vantlicht

Re: Silver bag bracket Dutch, Maker?

Post by Vantlicht »

Hi Peter,

Thanks, I will do so!

Return to “Dutch Silver”