Possible Silver Celtic or Viking Cloak Clasp

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
arpie

Possible Silver Celtic or Viking Cloak Clasp

Post by arpie »

Hi guys

First post here .... I hope this is in the correct area for posting.

I bought this lovely (what i believe to be a) Viking/Celtic Cloak Clasp in a thrift store and I just love it and am intrigued to find its history, if possible.

I am guessing it is probably British ... possibly European?

There are some marks on the back - I am guessing the W.B (and what looks like a back to front 3 and probably another fullstop after the B .. ) is the 'maker' .... and then with the imprinted marks, the middle one, I think is a Lion Passant, indicating the brooch could be silver .....

I've looked on the Hallmark Page for the maker & can't identify this one in the UK and have checked a few of the European countries too, with no success

Can anyone make out the rest of the marks - it almost looks like a wolf head on the right?

I've tried cleaning it up a bit with a silver cleaning fluid .... any other tips to make it all clearer would be appreciated.

Possible Silver Viking/Celtic Cloak Clasp

Rear of Clasp

Hallmarks cleaned up a bit

In different light

All the marks before cleaning

In different light

any assistance would be appreciated, many thanks
arpie
silvermakersmarks
co-admin

Re: Possible Silver Celtic or Viking Cloak Clasp

Post by silvermakersmarks »

Hi and welcome to the forum.

This little brooch is copied from a Viking/Celtic original. It dates from the 20th century and is a souvenir piece. The maker's mark WBs is the mark of Ward Brothers, a well-known maker of such pieces based in Birmingham. They registered this and similar marks in Birmingham, Chester, Glasgow, Edinburgh and Dublin.

Your brooch seems to have a Birmingham hallmark from the date letter cycle 1950-1974. The first mark after the maker's mark looks like the Birmingham anchor, then the lion passant and last the date letter. To make the details more visible you should try to clean out the hallmark with some silver polish on something reasonably stiff which will not cause scratches. A frayed matchstick is often recommended. You might also try an old toothbrush. Just remember to go gently and don't necessarily attempt to overclean.

Phil
arpie

Post by arpie »

Many thanks for that info, Phil!

You must have exceptional eyesight! :)

I'll give the cleaning a bit of a go & see if the marks are a bit clearer

cheers

Arpie
arpie

Post by arpie »

Just a thought @silvermakersmarks .... the 'bit' after the W.B mark doesn't really look like an 's' to me .... more like a 'back to front 3' - and it is actually quite clear too unlike the other stamps .... so I am wondering if it could possibly be someone else as the maker?

cheers

arpie
silvermakersmarks
co-admin

Post by silvermakersmarks »

I see what you mean but, taking into account the apparent damage on the hallmark itself, we can also expect to see some damage on the detailed parts of the sponsor's mark. Here, for comparison, is my exemplar of Ward Brothers mark:

There is no question in my mind, on the evidence of the sponsor's mark and on the style of the brooch, that it could possibly be any other maker.
arpie

Post by arpie »

Many thanks, Phil. I just love it! :)

Return to “European Jewelry”