A mid-century Finnish samorodok glasses case

Denmark, Norway, Sweden, and Finland
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Halibut

A mid-century Finnish samorodok glasses case

Post by Halibut »

I have this samorodok case that was made in Finland in 1965. I have been unable to identify the town mark and the maker's mark is unclear due to the samorodok treatment. I'm hoping one of you experts could help me.
The closest town mark I can find is Hämeenlinna but it's not a great match and the treatment on of the silver is not making things easier. As an aside I was also curious why such an old fashioned case would still be manufactured in the '60's. It's quite long and only 2.5cm at the maximum height and lined in green felt. It's much more suited to turn of the century spectacles than the more modern styles common in the mid-century. Google translate on the inscription seems to indicate this being a gift for someone on a water committee in the town of Manningen.

Qrt.S
contributor

Re: A mid-century Finnish samorodok glasses case

Post by Qrt.S »

It is most likely a gift from Riistaveden ja Maaningan luottotoimikunta. Riistavesi is a rather big lake (vesi means water or lake) but also a former municipality. Maaninka is as well a former municipality. Both are nowadays merged with the town of Kuopio in central Finland. Luottotoimikunta means credit/trust committee. The case is made by Kultakeskus Oy in the town of Hämeenlinna in 1965. I believe that the case could be a special/private order to Kultakeskus, but? Your assumption is, anyway, all in all rather correct.
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Halibut wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 4:34 pm As an aside I was also curious why such an old fashioned case would still be manufactured in the '60's. It's quite long and only 2.5cm at the maximum height and lined in green felt. It's much more suited to turn of the century spectacles than the more modern styles common in the mid-century. Google translate on the inscription seems to indicate this being a gift for someone on a water committee in the town of Manningen.
Hi,

Samarodok, I believe a Russian word meaning in its purest state, the metal is pure or in its natural appearance.
Perhaps they used this old technique here to represent the current and swirling of the water in the great lake of Riistavesi, in its purest form.

Peter.
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Precious metals appear in their natural form like this (e.g. gold nuggets with uneven surface).
The technique to create this effect is quite easy; you take a sheet of silver and heat it with the jeweler`s torch slightly beyond red colour. The surface will start wrinkling. It requires some skill, though; if you exaggerate with further heating the plate will melt. This is how inexperienced jewelers destroy pieces of jewelry when repairing (soldering). We used the old fashioned torch with the attachment kept in mouth to blow oxygen, thus increasing heat. If you use the torch without mouth piece (rubber hose) you cannot control the heating process.
Regards
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

To my understanding cаморо́док (samorodok,"gold nugget") in general means very valuable...something, but???
Halibut

Post by Halibut »

Thank you for the insightful and detailed replies. I've been fascinated by the samorodok technique since reading about it years ago in relation to Russian imperial crafts. I love the contrast of the 'natural state' silver crafted into an elegant form.
AG2012 wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 9:07 am The technique to create this effect is quite easy; you take a sheet of silver and heat it with the jeweler`s torch slightly beyond red colour. The surface will start wrinkling.
Forgive my ignorance in the field of silversmithing but I assume you form the item after heating and cooling the sheet to achieve the samorodok patterning? How do you preserve the surface when forming the final piece? None of the samorodok pieces I've seen have blemishes or areas where the finish appears marred by tongs, hammers, or other tools. How would you later go about achieving a smooth surface such as the inscribed lip on this glasses case? Can the nugget patterning be planished or filed down to a mirrored finish?
Qrt.S wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 2:38 am The case is made by Kultakeskus Oy in the town of Hämeenlinna in 1965.
May I ask how you determined the maker and mark? Is it just your familiarity with smiths and marks? You truly are an encyclopedia based on all of your posts I've read.
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

English term is reticulated silver. See here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mn6L0dGCpZI

Pay attention how the surface melts to create the pattern. When done, the sheet can be worked as usual.
Regards
Halibut

Post by Halibut »

AG2012 wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 3:42 pm English term is reticulated silver. See here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mn6L0dGCpZI

Pay attention how the surface melts to create the pattern. When done, the sheet can be worked as usual.
Regards
Excellent, thank you!

Return to “Scandinavian Silver”