Sazikov marking

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Juke*
contributor

Sazikov marking

Post by Juke* »

Hi!

This is an interesting object as its marking has an interesting combination. There would be the Sazikov makers mark and the Andrej Kowalskij assayers mark. What about the double headed eagle mark? Or is it just not genuine?

I am wondering also on the right to use the imperial double headed eagle and St. Georg slaying the dragon in the decorations. Are there knowledge on the right to use the state embelem and St. Georg on silver objects? Was it a depiction only on stately used objects and objects given as stately gifts? At least the use of emperor embelem is to my understanding used only on these kind of objects.

Regards,
Juke
oel
co-admin

Re: Sazikov marking

Post by oel »

Hi Juke, is it an inkwell or? The marks seem fake to me. What could be the meaning of the mean looking dressed and armed rats. I've seen rats like this before on counterfeit Russian silver.

Peter.
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

This one has been offered at a Dutch auction in 2022
Description
Russian silver inkwell, 84 zolotnik, 875/000, standing round model placed on 4 oval feet. On the side of the inkwell, 2 rats with tools climb the pot. On the front of the pot is a soldered element of a double-headed eagle with crown and cross and decorated with black and red/orange enamel. The back has a soldered rose element. 9x5x8cm. about 240 grams. Stamped with AK 1867. In good condition

Another one;
Description
Jan 29, 2017
RUSSIAN SILVER JUDAICA INKWELL, Moscow or St. Petersburg, c. 1867, round with two rodents flanking a hinged cap, Russian Imperial eagle on one side, Jewish Star of David opposite side, three stamped hallmarks under the star, 3-1/8"H; 222.3 grams. Stamped AK 1844

Explanation by Silverport
Rats, in the Jewish belief an impure animal, set in relation to David’s star and the Russian eagle. One of the rats acts like as the “wise monkeys” — the other like as a climbing ships carpenter with his axe (an illustration on town’s founder, the Tsar Peter the Great?).
https://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopi ... oel#p49891
Peter.
Juke*
contributor

Post by Juke* »

Thanks for your comments!

Yes, its is an ink well. I just found now a couple similar ones of the same motive with your reference. Interesting to hear about the explanation of the rats and as you state it to be a judica object it is then clear with the Russian state embelem and St. Georg motives not to be an authentic object. I had not seen this kind of objects before so was interested to hear more even that it is not in my possession. Someone has anyway done quite a lot of work with it, in some circles there is certainly an interest for these. In my mind the marks are well made (even with the missing town mark) so some research and knowledge were backed by making them.
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

Something is not in place here. The object seems to me to be overdecorated and with rats!? Sazikov's punch frame had rounded corners here they are sharp, the eagles crown is odd, the assayer's punch font is as well odd, there is not either a town mark visible.
Some makers were appointed to use the court-supplier double eagle mark. That didn't mean that an object with such a mark would be from the Russian court. It only showed that the maker was as said an appointed court-supplier. A suspicious object is my opinion.
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Hi Juke,
Indeed there is an interest in fake Russian silver with "nice " pseudo marks. In 2015 I showed, during a forum discussion about Russian silver Fake or Fortune, this page from a Bonhams auction catalogue. Amazing, and some day these sold fakes will return to the trade with or without correct description.
With pseudo(fake) Ovchinnikov's mark

Peter.
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

::::: The auction catalogue must describe the objects as "METALWARE" rather than describe them as being silver objects? ::::::

:::::: Any idea why there is no mention of silver? ::::::::::
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

The absence of genuine Russian hallmarks.

In compliance with British law, the British fine art trade uses the term "white metal" in auction catalogues to describe foreign silver items which do not carry British Assay Office hallmarks, but which are nonetheless understood to be silver and are priced accordingly.

Here the auction house, to avoid any risks does not call it white metal but metalware.

Peter.

Return to “Russian Silver”