Friedrich Rückert. Help: text translation, archive search.

Do not post mark questions here.
Mart
contributor

Friedrich Rückert. Help: text translation, archive search.

Post by Mart »

Hello! I am studying the biography of the famous silversmith Friedrich Rückert. I'm interested in his life before coming to Russia.
I was able to establish that Rückert was born in 1851 (the exact date is known) in the Prussian city of Liegnitz. Now this is the Polish city of Legnica. He was a Lutheran. I would be grateful if anyone could find information about him in the archives of this city. You may not have practiced this before, but it is not very difficult.
Second question. Can someone provide help translating the text? This is a document about the birth of Rückert's child. Information about religion, profession, residence of the father, etc. may be written there.
I'll hope for the best!)
silverfan
contributor

Re: Friedrich Rückert. Help: text translation, archive search.

Post by silverfan »

Hi Mart, I'll try to translate: Louis Alfred Rückert, Sohn des preuß(ischen). Unt(ertan?)., Glasmalers Friedrich Moritz Rückert, evangelisch lutherischer Conf(ession). und dessen Ehegattin
Regards silverfan
Mart
contributor

Post by Mart »

Thank you very much! So, there is still the word "glass" there))). Can the word "Glasmalers" have the meaning of an enamel master? Or are these professions different?
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Hi Mart,

I believe the answer is yes, if you google Schöpfkelle aus silber mit glasmalerei you will see an example.

Schöpfkelle aus Silber mit Glasmalerei von P. Ovchinnikov, Moskau, frühes 20. Jh
Silver ladle with stained glass by P. Ovchinnikov, Moscow, early 20th century

Der Glas-Mahler
Bibliographic Details
Title: Der Glas-Mahler.
Publisher: [ca. 1700].
Publication Date: 1700

Peter.
Mart
contributor

Post by Mart »

Thank you!
Let me ask one more question. This is a document about Rückert's second wedding. His wife is Evgenia. She is the daughter of Kalistrat Belov. Perhaps he was a glass blower. What else can you read here? (religion, "peasant", profession...?)
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

Hi Mart

There is a huge opus on Rückert with all available details and family photographs. The author of the book is Tatiana Muntian, curator at the Kremlin museums. The book is sponsored by a collector of Rückert’s art. You see his name under the heading ‘ Publisher’. I have no idea where to buy the book. Maybe you know this book?
silverfan
contributor

Post by silverfan »

Hi Mart,
Transscription: "Rückert, Friedrich Moritz deutscher Reichsangehöriger evang.-luther. mit Bjelow, Eugenie Tochter des Landmanns Kalistrat Bjelow griech-russ" (russ.orthodox!?)
Where did you find the church book entries?
Regards silverfan
Mart
contributor

Post by Mart »

Qrt.S wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:02 am The author of the book is Tatiana Muntian, curator at the Kremlin museums. The book is sponsored by a collector of Rückert’s art. I have no idea where to buy the book...
Hello! Yes, this is a famous book, you can buy it. The fact is that Rückert’s biography, information about his children (especially from his first marriage, and there were three weddings) were written from the words of his modern relatives. For this reason, there are a lot of errors and missing places. Not all children are named. The name of the first wife is unknown. Dates are mixed up. The authors of the book did not do a real investigation. For example, there is a photo dated 1910. It shows the Rückert family and among its members is his wife Evgenia Kalistratovna and youngest daughter Olya. However, Olya died in 1905, and Evgenia even earlier. Today for the first time you learned information about Friedrich’s birthplace.
I am very interested in the period of Rückert’s life before coming to Russia. And the first years of his life in Russia. Therefore, help is needed in the Legnica archives. I had little hope of seeing Rückert's work in these translations (some people had it written down).
Mart
contributor

Post by Mart »

silverfan wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:14 am Transscription:...
Thanks again!
Most people leave marks. They are noted in the registry books, they take part in other weddings, the birth of children, pay taxes, participate in courts, submit various applications, etc. The main thing is to have a search system!)))
If I haven't tired you with requests, then I have one more. In fact, I need a lot of translations of different documents from different masters.))))
There are two people here (1. Louis Peltzer...2. ..Yulia Korоtkova, first name...). It is difficult for me to understand what kind of document is named there with the date 1873, November and some numbers.
silverfan
contributor

Post by silverfan »

Hi Mart, for me it is not easy to read the old German alphabet because i didn't learn it at school. But my grandmother wrote some letters to me. So I'll try it again: " Louis Peltzer, Modelleur(?) 2., Frau Julie Korot.ow, geb(orene). Iwankowa (?)
NB. (=Nota Bene) laut Trauschein (=confirmation of wedding) des kath(olischen) Pfarrers zu Hermsdorf in Schlesien den 25/13 November 1873.
Again: Where did you find the church book entries?
Regards silverfan
Mart
contributor

Post by Mart »

Thanks! I'm a little confused about which city is meant in the document. There are three cities of Hermsdorf: north, south and west of Dresden. Which one was in Silesia? It seems that now I also need help in the Hermsdorf archive.)))
About archives. There is an archive in every city. Some archives have already been digitized, and some have not. You can place an order and read documents in the reading room for free. You can make a paid order from home if you know exactly the cipher of the file in the archive. Some archives in some cities are freely available. If you want to find a church book, then you need to know exactly where the people you are interested in lived and which church they could go to. It's not easy in big cities, because there could be 3-4 churches around the right house, but it's quite simple in small towns. It is also important that the books are preserved. Unfortunately, a lot of books have been lost. There were records of those who were born, married, died and about people who were in confession, but they have not been preserved for every year.
In addition, there were population censuses, there were books of merchants, burghers, peasants, artisans, visitors to assay establishments. There were books of inspection of silver workshops, sanitary inspections, reports on exhibitions (by the way, there is a lot of information about Russian participants of international exhibitions in the foreign press), articles in the press about silversmiths, etc. The main thing is to have the experience to work with them and know where and what to watch. This work requires a lot of time .....and we must constantly look for new sources! That's exactly what I'm trying to do now when I'm looking for information in foreign archives.
Silverstone
contributor

Post by Silverstone »

Hi Mart,

This may be the Rückert family portrait you mentioned:

From left to right
standing Alexandr, Adel, Alexander's wife, Pavel, Ida, Ida's husband Viktor Remizon
seated Fedor Rückert, Evegenia Kalistratovna and their joungest daughter Anna
1910-1913
Photo: Rückert family archive

Source:
Федор Рюкерт & Карл Фаберже
Fedor Rückert & Carl Fabergé, Tatiana Muntjan, Moskau 2016, p. 25

Regards
Silverstone
Mart
contributor

Post by Mart »

Hello! You are right, this is the photo mentioned. It could not have been made in the 1910s, because Evgenia Kalistratovna died in the fall of 1901. I think the photo was taken in 1901, if we can believe that Ida and Viktor Remizov are on the right. Friedrich Rückert gave his daughter Ida to Remizov in the spring of that year. The youngest daughter Olga was 10 years old in 1901 and I think she matches the age in the photo.
There are other questions. It is noted in the photo that Rückert's son Alexander is on the left, but he was born in 1895 - this is written in the book and I agree with this information. It's hard to believe that this person in the photo is 6 years old.
Next is Adele. I don't have any information about Adele, but I think it may be the pet name of Friedrich's daughter Aglaida. The way the Germans form names has caused me difficulties many times))).
In general, we need to carefully examine this photo and others in order to correctly determine who is who and when the photo was taken.
I would be grateful if someone from Germany could help me find information. You don’t have to pay money to do this, just a few minutes are enough. You just need to send a message to the help desk of the German archives and ask two questions.
1. Where are the archives of Prussian subjects who lived in the city of Liegnitz (now the city of Legnica in Poland) in 1851 now located?
2. Where are the archives of the residents of the city of Hermsdorf (Silesia) for 1873 now located?
Then it will be clear to me where to start the search. Thank you!
Theoderich
contributor

Post by Theoderich »

Mart wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:58 pm
2. Where are the archives of the residents of the city of Hermsdorf (Silesia) for 1873 now located?
Then it will be clear to me where to start the search. Thank you!
about Hermsdorf try this

https://www.archion.de/de/alle-archive/ ... /hermsdorf
Mart
contributor

Post by Mart »

Thanks! I have already registered. I'm starting to explore the possibilities of the forum.

Return to “General Questions”