Erik Kollin for faberge or just Erik Kollin

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
numis.geneve

Erik Kollin for faberge or just Erik Kollin

Post by numis.geneve »

Hello everyone a few years ago I bought this from a family of one my friends and this is something I’d never sell I think, it’s magnificent. One question has always been bothering me - all three pieces are clearly marked St Petersburg 1886 EK for Erik Kollin, however according to many sources at this time period Kollin was working exclusively for Faberge. So it it early Faberge that was not marked yet, or did Kollin sell independently? Thank you
numis.geneve

Re: Erik Kollin for faberge or just Erik Kollin

Post by numis.geneve »

numis.geneve

Post by numis.geneve »

numis.geneve

Post by numis.geneve »

numis.geneve

Post by numis.geneve »

numis.geneve

Post by numis.geneve »

Juke*
contributor

Post by Juke* »

Hi!

Nice tea set, however not Fabergé. There would be the Fabergé trademark if it were. As you mentioned he worked exclusively for Fabergé where he was appointed head workmaster. Later in 1898 he set up an own workshop.

A possibility is Yemelian Alexeevich Kutznetsov (EK) who had a silverware factory founded in 1886.

Regards,
Juke
Juke*
contributor

Post by Juke* »

Sorry a correction Yemelian Alexeevich Kutznetsov worked only in Moscow so has to be someone else which I don't recall.
Juke*
contributor

Post by Juke* »

From other source Erik Kolin became workmaster in 1868 and would have then started a workshop at 9 Kazanskaya street in 1870. However his EK mark was in an oval cartouche.

Juke*
contributor

Post by Juke* »

Third source says he used both the oval and square cartouches. I believe thereby your estimation of Erik Kolin as workmaster is correct, however not from the firm Fabergé as it misses the trademark.

numis.geneve

Post by numis.geneve »

Dear Juke thank you for trying to resolve this mystery. According to Skurlov Faberge obtained the title of imperial purveyor in 1885, with the right to administer the double headed eagle hallmarks, also according to sources silver production of the company in these early ears has been extremely limited. I have not been able to locate a single authentic silver Saint Petersburg faberge signed item from the 1880’s anywhere on the internet, museums or collections, only gold pieces or post 1890. That makes me ask even more questions…to complicate the mystery even further I have a Stefan Wakeva creamer from the same time period.
So I believe only two possibilities exist - either faberge was selling unmarked Saint Petersburg items in company boutiques until prior to 1890 approximately(just how Gratchev was doing for example)or both Wakeva and Kollin retailed independently, contradictory to the existing theories.
numis.geneve

Post by numis.geneve »

numis.geneve

Post by numis.geneve »

numis.geneve

Post by numis.geneve »

A very similar creamer can be seen in the 1893 catalog, and the enamel teapot resembles in shape as well, although I do admit the shapes were widespread.
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

Could be from Stefan Wäkevä's workshop, but not made by him because he had passed away in 1889. His widow continued with the business using his punch to ~ 1917. A rather "simple" creamer to be made by Wäkevä's workshop. Anyway, nothing to do with Fabergé. Therefore Faberge's trademark is missing. On items made by Kollin it is always missing. Both Wäkevä and Kollin had their own independent workshop, so???

It was forbidden by Russian law to sell with unmarked objects. If one got caught, one was severely punished. The only "exception" was the royal family, royal court and gifts in general, and certain medicinal instruments and tools.

What contradictory theories are you referring to? Where from is the claim that Gratchev would have sold unmarked silver objects ??? Never heard before.
Moreover, the EK punch in a square shield is hardly Erik Kollin is my opinion. There were several masters using an "EK" punch in StP by that time. Kollin's punch had an oval shield/frame not a square one.
numis.geneve

Post by numis.geneve »

Dear qrts I would greatly appreciate if you can please show me a single silver faberge marked item from the 1880’s made in Saint Petersburg, I was unable to locate one. When I said unmarked item meant not marked faberge - the obligation for governmental marks is obvious! About gratchev "Братья Грачевы". Только в 1889 г. устроили собственную мастерскую, до тех пор фирма не имела собственного клейма, и на продаваемых ею вещах находились "именники" мастеров, работавших на нее. And here is an example of this
numis.geneve

Post by numis.geneve »

numis.geneve

Post by numis.geneve »

numis.geneve

Post by numis.geneve »

numis.geneve

Post by numis.geneve »

About Kollin mark I’ve always thought he used the oval cartouche on gold items and square on silver, but I might be wrong.

Return to “Russian Silver”