Help identifying sterling flatware maker

If you know the maker, but not the pattern. - PHOTO REQUIRED
Couribros1

Help identifying sterling flatware maker

Post by Couribros1 »

I recently acquired a partial set of sterling flatware that has no maker's mark or name on it, and I have not been able to find the pattern in any of my regular sources. The only mark on the pieces is "Sterling." The pattern looks somewhat similar in design to some Rogers silver-plate patterns from the early 1930s or 1940s. The pieces are thinner and lighter than other sterling pieces and are relatively easy to bend. The knife blades are silver plated rather than stainless steel. The silverware came in a semi-stiff fold up silverware holder with stiff covers with elastic silver ware bands to hold the silverware with the covers connected by felt lining that allows the covers to be folded onto each other in the same manner you would close a hard cover book. The silverware holder has a label sewn in it that only states "Sterling." There are no other names on the silverware holder. I am guessing that the flatware was produced by a major American manufacturer for private (non jewelry store) distribution, but I can't figure out who made it or who sold it. I have only seen this design one other time on an online site a few years back and the seller on that site did not give a pattern name or a maker. Any help figuring out the pattern/maker would be appreciated.
Couribros1

Re: Help identifying sterling flatware maker

Post by Couribros1 »

Can't get the pictures to embed. Hopefully this link works:

https://imgur.com/gallery/36EdyB4
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Welcome to the Forum.

https://postimages.org (choose 'Share', then copy the 'Hotlink for forums' code) is recommended. Do not use Photobucket or Dropbox.

Ensure your images are embedded. Do not post links. Remember to use the 'Preview' button before submitting your post.

For more information see:

http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic ... 82#p103282

Give some time to creating your posts and we'll give some time to researching and answering them.

Trev.
Couribros1

Post by Couribros1 »

Thanks, Trev. Pictures are here:

Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

::::::::: Reminds me of STATE HOUSE silver patterns, strange that there is no company name. ::::::::::
dragonflywink
co-admin

Post by dragonflywink »

It's a Wm. Rogers/International silverplate pattern called 'Lyric' aka 'Lyric II', introduced in 1939, have seen it in sterling before - have also seen those fold-up cases (blue or red interiors), with 1930s-'40s basic silverplate services for eight...

~Cheryl
Couribros1

Post by Couribros1 »

Thanks, Cheryl! You are correct about the fold up case--it was pretty well torn apart by the time I got it and it had a cloth tag that simply said "sterling" and nothing else. None of my paper or online sources show Wm Rogers issuing any sterling flatware. How did you know this was made by Rogers?

Return to “Flatware Pattern Identification”