Second Word War Fork 1942

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
JanGroen
contributor

Second Word War Fork 1942

Post by JanGroen »

Good day
I found this Nickle Silver spoon today. It's marked LH NS followed by 1942 and a British broad arrow mark.
Any information about maker will be welcome.
Groete
Jannie

Essexboy Found
contributor

Re: Second Word War Fork 1942

Post by Essexboy Found »

Hello Jannie, I have a good collection of images of war time cutlery marks and had been wondering about who ""L.H" of Sheffield might be. We expect it to be a Sheffield concern as other centres in the UK were not able to make cutlery, no doubt making war munitions instead. I am a member of a Sheffield forum and a question there did generate a name. That was "Louis Harrison". For me there is good circumstantial evidence that the concern with his name manufactured the wartime cutlery with that mark. Louis Harrison died before the war but his widow Hilda took on the firm and she advertised it as "designed for large-scale production for overseas and wholesale trade only" (1938). I have double figure images of LH cutlery marks, dated across WWII period, Army, Air Force, forks and spoons. With some other concerns I have only 1 example of a wartime mark.
Louis and Hilda were in fact offspring from Jewish Polish/Russian immigrant families and were actually "Shindlers". There is much information about the Louis Harrison concern on the website Hawley's Name on a Knife Blade. This is my thoughts about that "LH" mark, there may of course be other opinions.

Fishless
Essexboy Found
contributor

Re: Second Word War Fork 1942

Post by Essexboy Found »

Hello, more examples of the wartime, War Department "/l\" broad arrow mark are in this composite image.

The A.M under the crown mark is the "Air Ministry" mark for RAF/ Air Force items.

Fishless

Return to “Silverplate Trademarks - Worldwide”