Help with Belgian and maybe Georgian (?) ring

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
GGD

Help with Belgian and maybe Georgian (?) ring

Post by GGD »

Hello!

I have recently bought this ring in Normandy, France.

It is a gold plated silver ring. I have been able to identify one of the two hallmarks as a Belgian mark for small silverwork from the 1800s. I have been unable, however, to identify the other one. Although it looks like a capital "B", the small disconnect between one of the curves and the line makes me think that is not the case. Also, I haven't found any design of a capital "B" hallmark with a similar symbol on the upper part. I also considered a lowercase "a", but have found even less similar designs. I have found it really looks like a georgian მ, Ⴒ or Ⴜ, depending on how you look at it. But information on georgian hallmarks seems to be really scarce on the internet, and I have no access to bibliography on the subject (I live currently in Brazil).

I thank you all for any help you could give me!
oel
co-admin

Re: Help with Belgian and maybe Georgian (?) ring

Post by oel »

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

Your gold plated silver ring bears the marks of Southern Netherlands used 1814-1842. These marks have been used in the present Belgium until March 1st 1832, however in the Dutch assay office Maastricht, province Limburg until March 1st 1842. The mark a branch in vase shaped cartouche, standard mark for small work, minimum 833/000 fineness. This mark was used on small work without an office mark.
The maker's mark, I believe could be (distorted) PLN in monogram/conjoined under a small cross either for; Petrus Lambertus Nijst Sr., registered in the city of Maastricht during 1799-1818. Or it could be for his son Petrus Lambertus Nijst Jr., registered in Maastricht 1827-1863.
Petrus Lambertus Nijst Sr. (also Pierre Lambert) born about 1757, died Maastricht 23 July 1818, married Marie Catharine op den Dries (also Maria Catharina). From this marriage: Petrus Lambertus Nijst Jr. (also Pierre Lambert), born Maastricht May 11, 1800, occupation silversmith, died on June 26, 1869 in Maastricht.  https://www.openarchieven.nl/rhl:c687d5 ... 99a1c725df

NB. These are drawings of the maker's marks, sometimes not 100% accurate.
I opt, lean towards the maker's mark of Petrus Lambertus Nijst Jr.

Peter.

Source; Waarborgholland, Netherlands' Responsibility Marks since 1797
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

::::: Do you happen to have the corresponding gold hallmarks of Southern Netherlands used 1814-1842 ::::::
::::: I have a similar ring with a makers mark and a very similar "plant" or "fern" hallmark and I have never been able to identify it. ::::
::::: The hallmarks are on the outside of the ring (gold with a small Persian turquoise stone) and they are so tiny I have been having difficulty photographing the hallmarks but I will keep trying. :::::
::::::::::: Thanks for your assistance and knowledge. ::::
GGD

Post by GGD »

Hi! Thank you very much for the welcome and for the help! I hadn't considered, indeed, that it must be a maker's mark. Have a great weekend!
oel wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 6:42 am Hi, and welcome to the forum.

Your gold plated silver ring bears the marks of Southern Netherlands used 1814-1842. These marks have been used in the present Belgium until March 1st 1832, however in the Dutch assay office Maastricht, province Limburg until March 1st 1842. The mark a branch in vase shaped cartouche, standard mark for small work, minimum 833/000 fineness. This mark was used on small work without an office mark.
The maker's mark, I believe could be (distorted) PLN in monogram/conjoined under a small cross either for; Petrus Lambertus Nijst Sr., registered in the city of Maastricht during 1799-1818. Or it could be for his son Petrus Lambertus Nijst Jr., registered in Maastricht 1827-1863.
Petrus Lambertus Nijst Sr. (also Pierre Lambert) born about 1757, died Maastricht 23 July 1818, married Marie Catharine op den Dries (also Maria Catharina). From this marriage: Petrus Lambertus Nijst Jr. (also Pierre Lambert), born Maastricht May 11, 1800, occupation silversmith, died on June 26, 1869 in Maastricht.  https://www.openarchieven.nl/rhl:c687d5 ... 99a1c725df

NB. These are drawings of the maker's marks, sometimes not 100% accurate.
I opt, lean towards the maker's mark of Petrus Lambertus Nijst Jr.

Peter.

Source; Waarborgholland, Netherlands' Responsibility Marks since 1797
GGD

Post by GGD »

Sorry, I don't have such an information. I was able to identify that hallmark consulting Tardy's "Poinçons d'argent", so it doesn't include hallmarks for gold pieces. Good luck with identifying your hallmarks!
Aguest wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:57 am ::::: Do you happen to have the corresponding gold hallmarks of Southern Netherlands used 1814-1842 ::::::
::::: I have a similar ring with a makers mark and a very similar "plant" or "fern" hallmark and I have never been able to identify it. ::::
::::: The hallmarks are on the outside of the ring (gold with a small Persian turquoise stone) and they are so tiny I have been having difficulty photographing the hallmarks but I will keep trying. :::::
::::::::::: Thanks for your assistance and knowledge. ::::
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Hi Aguest, for information about Dutch hallmarks on gold see;
https://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopi ... 55#p215255

Peter.

Return to “European Jewelry”