Paris or Hanau ?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
amena
contributor

Paris or Hanau ?

Post by amena »

Is it possible that it is Paris from the end of the 18th century as the seller claims?
On Tardy do I see completely different designs, or am I missing something?
Maybe Hanau?
JayT
contributor

Re: Paris or Hanau ?

Post by JayT »

Hello Amena

Your mustard pot was made by Jean-Louis-Dieudonné Outrebon, a well-known maker from a dynasty of French Protestant silversmiths stretching back to 1703. Examples of his work can be found in several collections, including the Puiforcat collection, now in the Louvre museum.

Jean-Louis was the son of Nicolas, who died in 1779, and Louise Billard. Nicolas Outrebon was a supplier to François-Thomas Germain, and also made silver using his own mark.

Jean-Louis was born in 1756. He was accepted as master 15 July, 1772, sponsored by another great silversmith, Edme-François Balzac. He registered his mark 29 July 1772, initials JLO, symbol a shell. He no longer appeared on the tax roll after 1791. Jean-Louis worked in Paris at Cour Lamoignon, and after 10 December 1781 at Cour Neuve du Palais.

The other marks look good. See Tardy p. 130, third row, for the charge and discharge marks, and p. 134 for the 1786 date letter mark.

You have an example of French 18th C silver with a fine pedigree.

The spoon doesn’t appear original to the mustard pot (too long).

Regards

See Nocq, v. 3, p. 292-293.
amena
contributor

Post by amena »

Thanks JayT for the lesson.
Now that you've pointed them out to me, I can see them too.
I realize there is still a long way to go.
Best regards
Amena
JayT
contributor

Post by JayT »

You’re welcome Amena.

If you decide to purchase this item, I suggest you verify that the lid and the body have the same marks.
Although this is modest piece of domestic silver, a mark by Outrebon might give a seller incentive to “marry” two objects that didn’t go together at time of manufacture.

Regards.
amena
contributor

Post by amena »

Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't think I'll buy the item. I asked for help just to learn more about the French marks, which are a bit difficult for me.
Regards
Amena

Return to “French Silver”