Help, what do you think?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
GiulyF

Help, what do you think?

Post by GiulyF »

Hy all, I need your knowledge on the subject, what do you think of these marks? I believe they are late and imitative, not good and contemporary of the time.
I don't get the hallmarks, the kokoshnik for those years, 1892, should have Saint George and the dragon facing left and not right as in our case, then the silversmith is from St. Petersburg and we have a Moscow stamp, why? There are no products stamped by the company for the city of Moscow, production was in St. Petersburg and stopped, any suggestions?

Hallmarks:
Assayer's mark, Anatoly Artsibashov, Moscow 1892
City Hallmark, "Saint George on Horseback Slaying the Dragon", Moscow, 1891-1896
Zolotniks hallmark "84", 875 silver
Hallmark of the goldsmith/firm "Grachev Brothers", St. Petersburg 1877-1918

Thanks to all of you that can help me to solve the trouble..

G.

Ubaranda
contributor

Re: Help, what do you think?

Post by Ubaranda »

Hello!
This is a terrible fake!
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

Yes it is a fake with rather stupid markings. Just for the records: Grachev Brothers In St. Petersburg started to use a mark like this (БР.ГРАЧЕВЪ ) after Gavril Petrovich (father) death. In 1897 the company was named Gratchev Brothers (БРАТЬЯ), before only Gratchev. There were several brothers. Moreover: A Moscow town mark ?????
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

::::: There's something unnatural about the smoothness of the hallmarks, are they using 3-D printers to make the hallmarks on these Russian fakes nowadays? ::::

::::: I swear a computer was involved in the creation of these hallmarks, I really do not believe the punches were hand-made, so unnatural :::::

Return to “Russian Silver”