Location of the marks on French flatware

Do not post mark questions here.
Georg

Location of the marks on French flatware

Post by Georg »

Hi everybody,

I have noticed that older French flatware (eg. spoons) have hallmarks (for example Minerva) on handles, whereas more modern have these marks on scoops. Am I right? If so when exactly did it happen? Was it a regulation or simply a fashion change? It helps with dating so I shall be very grateful for any information.

Kind regards,

Georg
JayT
contributor

Re: Location of the marks on French flatware

Post by JayT »

Hello

Marks were found on the back of handle stems of forks and spoons until 1838. With the introduction of the Minerva head mark, the marks moved to the bowls of spoons and heels of forks (“scoops” as you call them) with the maker on the left and the Minerva head on the right. This was a legislated change of location of the marks. However, some makers continued to mark with the Minerva head on the back of handles for a short period, out of habit.

For dating of items made after 1838, the best indication is the dates of operation of the maker.

Hope this helps.

Regards.
Georg

Post by Georg »

Hi again,

It helps indeed. Thank you. The reason I was asking is that the makers marks on the handles of my set are completely illegible as opposite to the Minerva marks, which are well preserved. Now, I may safely assume that the set was made shortly after 1838. Thank you again.

Best regards,

Georg
JayT
contributor

Post by JayT »

My pleasure!

Return to “General Questions”