Lawson & Co. Example

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
dargent

Lawson & Co. Example

Post by dargent »

Should I post a pic of the Lawson & Co teaspoons that were sold to me as Liberty & Co?

I really need to be a little less trusting methinks. LOL

Better get some sleep. Nite all.
dargent

Re: Some info on this hallmark please.

Post by dargent »

Might as well show them, they aren't a silversmith I have encountered before or since yet their silver attracts very high prices too. Quite similar to Liberty & co on some items.
Others might like to see them.

silvermakersmarks
co-admin

Re: Lawson & Co. Example

Post by silvermakersmarks »

I note that the label says "1899". I believe that the date letter is actually O for 1911.

Phil
dargent

Post by dargent »

Thanks for that silvermakersmarks. No excuse for my error either the marks are not really similar.

Do you know anything of the maker by any chance?
silvermakersmarks
co-admin

Post by silvermakersmarks »

The excellent archive at the website of the Edinburgh Incorporation of Goldsmiths shows several different Lawson & Co marks and describes them as Wholesale Jewellers & Importers. Lawson & Co are mentioned in Glasgow Assay Office records between 1903 and 1934 although they may have been producing silver as early as 1891.

Lawson & Co are listed as Wholesale Jewellers in an 1896 telephone directory at 85 Buchanan Street, Glasgow. They were at the same address until at least 1957, but by 1968 had moved to 59 Bath Street, Glasgow, lised as Lawson & Co Ltd, jewellers & silversmiths. In 1978 they had moved to 80 Buchanan Street, listed as Lawson & Co Ltd, jewellers.
dargent

Post by dargent »

Thank you very much for that information silvermakersmarks, it is greatly appreciated.

Return to “Scottish Hallmarks”