Silver bowl hallmarked ma900

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
niceguy1

Silver bowl hallmarked ma900

Post by niceguy1 »

HI ALL

I have this silver bowl, the only hallmark it has is a MA900 mark, does anybody have any info about this mark?

THANKS IN ADVANCE.
oel
co-admin

Re: Silver bowl hallmarked ma900

Post by oel »

Hi,

Yogya silver.
See: http://www.925-1000.com/a_yogya.html

Oel.
dragonflywink
co-admin

Post by dragonflywink »

Might be wrong, but somewhere in the back of my head, believe I've seen this mark (and others similar) on pieces that appeared to be Middle-Eastern - to my eye, seems a bit atypical for Yogya silver...

~Cheryl
davidross
contributor

Post by davidross »

I have to agree with Cheryl. To my eye, the almost "puffy" rendering of the flowers (roses?) would suggest the Middle East (20th century Turkey came to mind) or even Mexico, rather than Yogya.

As I can offer no definite ID, though, I would not rule out Yogya and will certainly keep an open mind.

Regards
DR
dragonflywink
co-admin

Post by dragonflywink »

Very little time at the moment to do any poking around, but still can't shake the recollection of seeing this mark, as well as others similar in the '900' with initials marks, on what appeared to be maybe mid 20th century small holloware items and ethnic jewelry, some with additional Middle Eastern marks and/or symbols as part of the designs.

~Cheryl
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Hi, I toke those images from the Djokja site;
http://www.djokja.nl/hedendaags.html

I agree the bowl does not look typical ‘early’Yogya perhaps more contemporary. but Cheryl could be right.

Best wishes,

Oel.
dragonflywink
co-admin

Post by dragonflywink »

The '900' mark does look to be the same one, wish there was a picture of the item too - I still have doubts... A quick search of the internet only finds this mark on a couple of thimbles, and a small box with a currant motif, along with mention of a "vintage signed MA 900 silver filigree clip earrings glass cabochons", unfortunately without illustration.

These two bowls show some similarity in design, including the three small feet - one with 1946+ Egyptian marks indicating .900 silver, the other bearing a '900' mark along with another:

A large number of Middle Eastern jewelry pieces can be found with similar '900' marks, sometimes alone, but many with initials, or short names like NU-NU or KETE, some with filigree-work and set with glass or semi-precious stones, as well as pieces with enamel-work. The clip earrings below are marked with a 'YT 900' mark:

~Cheryl

Return to “Far East”