Have you seen one of these before?

What was this used for? - PHOTO REQUIRED
juantotree
contributor

Have you seen one of these before?

Post by juantotree »

Hi

I am assuming this is either a spirit burner or possibly a table cigarette lighter. It is fully hallmarked to the base for London 1776 with the makers mark of Charles Aldridge & Henry Green with matching partial marks to the removable circular lid.

I have never seen this type of item with 5 holes, which I assume are for wicks or tapers. The four outer holes have open tubing below them, which would provide support to whatever was placed in them whilst still giving access to the liquid spirit. Has anybody seen one of these and may be able to give me a definitive use?

Many Thanks
Martin

Aguest
contributor

Re: Have you seen one of these before?

Post by Aguest »

::::: Sterling Silver insert for a whale-oil lamp? ::::: Would moving this to the "Mystery Object" forum help solve the mystery? :::::
::::: I checked sterling silver surgical instruments, just in case this object was associated with antique sterling silver surgery somehow. :::::;
::::: Oil lamp is the only thing that makes sense, but I can't find anything similar. ::::::::::::::::::::::
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

::::: What is a mechanical dish-cross and is it possible that your mystery object has something to do with a mechanical dish cross? ::::::
::::::::::::::::: If not a mechanical dish cross, then perhaps something directly related to a mechanical dish cross? ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

::::: (I just started looking for mystery objects made by the same makers and a mechanical dish cross just popped up. :::::::::
juantotree
contributor

Post by juantotree »

You would think it would have to be something like this or similar.

I would say that whenever I have seen burners that are part of something else, such as a dish cross or spirit kettle, they normally have partial hallmarks relating to the full hallmarks on for example the spirit kettle body, this piece however has full marks to the base with partials to the lid.
It is a strange one, hopefully something more definitive will turn up.

Martin

Return to “Mystery Objects”