Silver Cutlery Mark - Can't Find

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Truem

Silver Cutlery Mark - Can't Find

Post by Truem »

Good Morning, I've scoured the German section but I haven't been able to find this mark anywhere. Any help you could provide would be appreciated. I can't tell what the mark to the left is supposed to represent which has made searching difficult. It is quite a large collection of various items.

amena
contributor

Re: Silver Cutlery Mark - Can't Find

Post by amena »

Maybe that ?
Truem

Post by Truem »

That's what I thought initially but it's different enough I thought it wasn't quite a match. Is that a Candelabra?
Truem

Post by Truem »

Looking again I think you are right. I wonder if there is a way to narrow down the age.
amena
contributor

Post by amena »

I wonder if there is a way to narrow down the age.
This is beyond my knowledge.
Let's wait for the opinion of those who know more
Best
Amena
Joerg
contributor

Post by Joerg »

Hi
You could check out the website of Koch & Bergfeld. They are still active. You will find the pattern name is "Barock", and it is in production since 1916. It also tell you what their maker mark means, you will find it in the section "Hallmarks".
To narrow the age more, you need more clues. The buld of cutlery sold nowadays is 0.925 standard. Yours is 0.800, which came out of use in the 1980ies. Then, look at the cutlery case, is it the original? How old is it? What does the label say? Any dating information there? Last, the knife blades? Which stile are they? Stainless steel? If they are carbon steel it is early production. Any, maybe you know its origin? Probably a wedding present, as complete as it is. Who's wedding? Last, assuming it is from the 1950ies or 1960ies is a good start.
Regards
Jörg
Bahner
contributor

Post by Bahner »

Hello, no doubt, the bowl mark of K&B; one of the many variants. There is no way to date this precisely, anything between the 1920ies and 1980ies is possible, give or take. K&B went bankrupt a few months ago, so no further info is to be expected from them. Regards, Bahner
Truem

Post by Truem »

Joerg wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:58 am Hi
You could check out the website of Koch & Bergfeld. They are still active. You will find the pattern name is "Barock", and it is in production since 1916. It also tell you what their maker mark means, you will find it in the section "Hallmarks".
To narrow the age more, you need more clues. The buld of cutlery sold nowadays is 0.925 standard. Yours is 0.800, which came out of use in the 1980ies. Then, look at the cutlery case, is it the original? How old is it? What does the label say? Any dating information there? Last, the knife blades? Which stile are they? Stainless steel? If they are carbon steel it is early production. Any, maybe you know its origin? Probably a wedding present, as complete as it is. Who's wedding? Last, assuming it is from the 1950ies or 1960ies is a good start.
Regards
Jörg
We have limited information on it as it was part of the estate of a wealthy 95+ year old German. The case is not the original, it's a newer model from a department store.

Return to “German Silver”