Important Service for Prince William I, 1806

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Tipton444

Important Service for Prince William I, 1806

Post by Tipton444 »

Hello all,

I recently acquired a very interesting grouping of silver, and I'm wondering if anyone can help me learn more about it? The large spoon is marked "KOMPFF" on the back for Heinrich Wilhelm Kompff, and after doing some research I found out he was apart of making a special service for Prince William I, the Elector of Hesse-Kassel, in 1806 (possibly 1817 as well). Each piece was marked with the royal cypher monogram "WK" with a crown above it (apparently its a coincidence that WK is the initials of the spoon maker as well).

I found this forum thread on this site with more information; https://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18814 , and was hoping someone might be able to help me identify some of the other hallmarks on the smaller shovel spoons.

The interesting part is that each salt shovel spoon is slightly different, and although they all have the "WK" monogram and the crown above it, they all have different hallmarks and makers(?). I'm wondering if they commissioned some of the best known silversmiths at that time to each make a piece for the service? What other reasoning could there be? Some are hallmarked on the front, and other's on the back, very interesting! Also, can someone tell me what the large serving spoon is for exactly?

Does anyone have any more information on this commissioned service set? How many pieces were made? How rare is it? Have any pieces come up for sale at any auctions, or are any pieces in museums?

Along with these 5 pieces of silver, I also acquired a Russian silver condiment dish from the same grouping of silver, which I also believe to be important, which possibly bears the Crown Duke Crown and Imperial Eagle marks... I'm still trying to learn more about that, and wondering if there's any relation, or it just belonged to a knowledgeable collector. I made another forum post here regarding it; https://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=63258

Thank you all very much for your help and time!

-Eric

Theoderich
contributor

Re: Important Service for Prince William I, 1806

Post by Theoderich »

Yes it is correct and a nice and interesting find.

Landgrave Wilhelm IX of Hesse-Kassel becomes Elector Wilhelm I of Hesse-Kassel in 1803. In 1806, he had to go into exile due to the impending occupation of his country by Napoleonic troops. From 1808, Prague became his definitive new place of residence, from which he only returned to Kassel at the end of 1816.

On his escape, he took parts of his court service with him. He had it completed in Prague. Here it is the ungilded salt spoon, which bears the BZ, the Prague tax stamp and the initials HR of the goldsmith who made it in Prague.

On his return in 1816, he had his court service completed by the court goldsmiths Heinrich Wilhelm Kompff (KOMPFF, W.K) and Carl Heinrich Kördell (IK in the six-sided diamond) (BZ Kassel with A and B of the second alphabet). All parts of the set bear the engraved initials Wilhelm I (WK = Wilhelm Kurfürst) under the princely crown.
blakstone
contributor

Post by blakstone »

The Prague maker's mark is actually "RF" for Richard Fleischmann (1741-1822; Master 1768). The last digit of the date is lacking, but 181? is consistent with William's exile in Prague.
Tipton444

Post by Tipton444 »

I want to thank you both very much for your help! It has been incredibly interesting learning about these fine silver pieces.

Return to “German Silver”