Tastevin estetic abrasion attempt?

Do not post mark questions here.
GiulyF

Tastevin estetic abrasion attempt?

Post by GiulyF »

Dear all
is there anyone who can tell me more about this abrasion/chiselling of the top edge of this French tastevin? Could it be that it was a nice attempt to erase the writing underneath (which however I don't read, while on the other side of the cup, the name of the owner is engraved externally) and in its place to leave a sort of chiseled molding that recalled the bunches of grapes and the vine leaves? it's a tastevin..we'd be on topic.
Does this particular type of metal surface treatment have a name? I wouldn't say guilloscé ...

Thanks in advance...

GiulyF

Re: Tastevin estetic abrasion attempt?

Post by GiulyF »

I correct myself, I can see the letters of a potentially name below the flower corollas...
blakstone
contributor

Post by blakstone »

The punched letters used to put the owner's name on tastevins (and other pieces in the early 19th century) were difficult to remove as they were too deep to polish out without excessively thinning the rim of the piece. I think this is simply the obliteration of a previous owner's name using decorative punches, with the new owner's name placed on the opposite side.
bijoux.expert
contributor

Post by bijoux.expert »

The French use the word "biffé" to describe hallmarks or engraving that has been obliterated by other stamps.

Return to “General Questions”