Enameled box mark,Russia or Armenian?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
gsmoggy

Enameled box mark,Russia or Armenian?

Post by gsmoggy »

Hello Members
any info on this mark? is it a Russian mark or Armenian mark ?
very unusual decoration,does not feel Russian to me. 916 standard on a Armenian box I have. Is this also Armenian also? and what period 1920-30?

researching for owner .
Regards Guido.

42jbb

Re: Enameled box mark,Russia or Armenian?

Post by 42jbb »

This is not Russian, so probably Armenian.
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Kyrgyztan, used a 3rd silver standard of 916. The box has no hallmark, I assume the mark to be a maker's mark.

Peter.
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

I would not exclude European origin in spite of the fact there are no official assay marks. Champlevé of this quality is seen only in e.g. Vienna enamel (oriental revival), never in Asia. There is Vienna champleve with no marks and unusual fineness, e.g. 935. Serial (design) number, overall appearance of the marks indicates Europe.
Regards
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

::::: 1). Comparing the serial number to the 916 number, the four digits in the serial number seems to be "emulating" a factory number and those numbers have been hand-engraved to simulate a factory-stamped factory number using a factory-style punch. :::::::

::::: 2). The letters in the makers' mark seem to have a Russian (Armenian?) influence & they look a little different from European lettering style.

::::: 3). The overall form reminds me of the bone casket boxes of Kholmogory, Russia but I have never seen a silver box from that region. ::::::

::::: Would looking at the Armenian box the original post mentions be helpful in this case? :::::::
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

An early 20th century Austrian unmarked silver and champlevé enamel figural table timepiece, probably Vienna circa 1910
How do they even know it is Austrian and 1910 ? Because there is clock mechanism inside.
Such huge and important item is supposed to be fully marked, but many Vienna silver & enamel pieces are unmarked, bearing very unusual silver standards off legislation.
To apply serial, inventory or whatever internal number there is a set of stamping individual tools (therefore the numbers are not aligned, stamped individually).
Btw. pay attention to gryphons.
Again, Armenian or any Asian silversmith has never managed to match the excellency of Vienna champleve.

Return to “Russian Silver”