Munsey & Co Ltd Cambridge chalice coat of arms

To identify an engraved crest, post an image here. - PHOTO REQUIRED
SrettyPilver

Munsey & Co Ltd Cambridge chalice coat of arms

Post by SrettyPilver »

If I'm not posting this in the correct place, please let me know. I have an 8" tall silver-plate (I assume) chalice with lid that is marked Munsey & Co Ltd Cambridge, which I've learned here means it was made by Atkin Bros of Sheffield. This chalice has some other marks on the bottom, including etched letters (?) that are perhaps not significant. On one side it has a coat of arms that I'm curious about. Any information about this piece would be appreciated.

SrettyPilver

Re: Munsey & Co Ltd Cambridge chalice coat of arms

Post by SrettyPilver »

silvermakersmarks
co-admin

Post by silvermakersmarks »

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

Your image is not showing. The following should help you:

How to Add Images

Posting Requirements

https://postimages.org is recommended (click 'Share', then copy and paste the 'Hotlink for forums' code to embed your images). Do not use Photobucket or Dropbox.

Please ensure that you embed your images rather than posting links and remember to use the 'Preview' button before submitting your post. If your images don't show up there we won't be able to see them either.

For a quick summary see:

http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic ... 82#p103282

Don't worry about posting in the wrong place - we can move posts to more appropriate places as and when necessary.

Phil
SrettyPilver

Post by SrettyPilver »

How strange, the photos showed up in Preview and are showing up in this post from my end. I did read the photo posting guidance and tried to follow it. I will investigate...
SrettyPilver

Post by SrettyPilver »

Sasropakis
contributor

Post by Sasropakis »

The coat of arms would be for the kingdom of England (fleur-de-lis representing France and lions passant England) from the period when the English monarchs claimed to be also kings of France. However the bordure around the coat of arms usually denotes illegitimate descent and in this case it's similar to the coat of arms of Dukes of Beaufort. But the coronet doesn't really look like the ducal one and I couldn't find any examples of them using that kind of bird (phoenix?) crest so I'm not sure if the chalice has a ducal connection.
SrettyPilver

Post by SrettyPilver »

I suppose it is a phoenix rising from a crown (?), but it has a little bit of a dragon vibe which makes it extra cool.
Essexboy Found
contributor

Post by Essexboy Found »

Hello, I am not sure we can say this chalice was made by Atkins Brothers because it has Munsey & Co Ltd mark on it. That link is possibly suggested by other Munsey & Co items with a "3 feather mark" on. I know well, that we see the "3 feather mark" as being associated with Atkins Brothers electroplated goods, but that same mark is more strongly associated with the UK's Prince of Wales. We have this image on the Forum where a precursor company to Munsey & Co was by appointment to the "Prince of Wales".

I have the opinion to offer that the use that "special mark" could have been a good business ploy and other concerns made items for Munsey & Co. The advert says they sold "Elkington's Electro-Plate.

Fishless
SrettyPilver

Post by SrettyPilver »

So Munsey & Co. were the retailer, with products from various makers stamped with the Munsey mark? I don't know that I've seen the Munsey & Co. mark in an oval shape like that elsewhere, so what you're saying makes sense. Perhaps it was made by somebody's no-good brother-in-law.

Return to “Family Crests”