Mystery spoon marked possibly JE?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
zeplinater

Mystery spoon marked possibly JE?

Post by zeplinater »

I think it could have English lineage but I'd happily hear your thoughts on it thank you. Appreciate any help.
Aguest
contributor

Re: Mystery spoon marked possibly JE?

Post by Aguest »

::::: If we could see the construction of the "drop" it might help (the reverse side of the spoon where the bowl is joined to the shaft) because we can compare the drop to other known drops from various countries. :::::::
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

::::: I'm considering provincial Denmark first and foremost. :::::
::::: Something about the overall shape of the spoon & the monogram does not seem Provincial English & also does not seem American Colonial. :::::

:::::: Provincial Denmark spoons were often hallmarked with one single makers' mark ::::::
zeplinater

Post by zeplinater »

Aguest wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 6:50 am ::::: If we could see the construction of the "drop" it might help (the reverse side of the spoon where the bowl is joined to the shaft) because we can compare the drop to other known drops from various countries. :::::::
Hopefully this is clear enough to be of use:

Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

::::: The drop reminds me of some spoons from Switzerland, but there should be another hallmark along with the makers mark if it were Swiss. :::::

::::: The only hallmark is the makers mark, there isn't another hallmark that is heavily rubbed to the right of the makers mark (almost where the handle meets the bowl, I might see a heavily-worn hallmark there, but you would know best with the object in hand). ::::::

::::: I'll keep searching Switzerland just in case, hopefully someone else will chime in. :::::
zeplinater

Post by zeplinater »

Aguest wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 12:17 pm ::::: The drop reminds me of some spoons from Switzerland, but there should be another hallmark along with the makers mark if it were Swiss. :::::

::::: The only hallmark is the makers mark, there isn't another hallmark that is heavily rubbed to the right of the makers mark (almost where the handle meets the bowl, I might see a heavily-worn hallmark there, but you would know best with the object in hand). ::::::

::::: I'll keep searching Switzerland just in case, hopefully someone else will chime in. :::::
No I've had a good look with a loupe and sadly can't see any additional marks. Having said that it does look like someone has cleaned it with an abrasive pad at one point in its life...
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

:::::: Thanks for the drop pic & this is an interesting spoon, I haven't eliminated any possibility yet, this is a difficult puzzle to solve ::::::::

Return to “Provincial & Colonial Marks”