Belgium drageoir, maker not recognized

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Georg

Belgium drageoir, maker not recognized

Post by Georg »

Hi,

I have got something I believe is a drageoir (see photo).
There are the following marks:
After some research I learnt that the first two marks say that item is of Belgium origin from the period 1831-1868; silver 833/1000 (or 800/1000 as some sources state). However, I has not been able to identify the maker (at least I believe that the marks to the right belong to the maker: JV initials over a bird). Any help with this issue will be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Georg
oel
co-admin

Re: Belgium drageoir, maker not recognized

Post by oel »

Hi Georg,

Indeed a beauty of a Belgian drageoir ( Fr.); coupe or tray for confectionery (Fr. dragées). Originally made in rather large dimensions, drageoirs served as decoration on the table or sideboard.The drageoirs were then wide dishes on a pedestal, with arched lid. In the second half of the 19th century, the word drageoir was gradually replaced by bonbonnière.
The marks for Belgium used 1832-1869; Janus head, 2nd standard mark for silver 833/000. The assay office mark, Minerva's head wearing a helmet with a letter which identified the office. The responsibility mark JV bird for; Jacques Vinckenbosch, gold & silver smith, jeweller, manufacturer and traveling merchant of gold and silver works. Born in Hasselt Belgium 12-1-1798, married to Joanna Chris Vandercapellen. He died in Hasselt 21-6-1876. Active in and around Hasselt ca. 1820-1860.
The gold & silver smiths of Hasselt used the assay office of Maastricht with the regional assay office letter M, during the French and Dutch period.
The assay offices were kept open after the Belgian uprising against the Dutch regime, except for the cities of Maastricht and Luxemburg who remained occupied by Dutch troops. The administrative centre of the province of Luxembourg was transferred to Arlon by a resolution of the October 1830, and a assay office was established in Hasselt by a resolution of 18th august 1831 in order to replace the one in Maastricht, with the same regional assay office letter M.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hasselt

Peter.

Source; Répertoire général des orfèvres et des marques d'orfèvrerie en Belgique, II 1798-1942, Walter Van Dievoet
Georg

Re: Belgium drageoir, maker not recognized

Post by Georg »

Hi Peter,

Thank you for your reply. It was fast, extensive and very helpful. I appreciate this.
Unfortunately, the Minerva head is so worn out that no assay office letter is visible.
Again, I am really grateful.

Best regards,

Georg

Return to “Dutch Silver”