Question on this very English coat of arms

To identify an engraved crest, post an image here. - PHOTO REQUIRED
ybcnd

Question on this very English coat of arms

Post by ybcnd »

This is indeed an unique Queen Anne piece of porringer to me that i want to call it Trophy due to its size. My query is what is this look-alike coat of arms? Royal or a family related? And i have a hint of doubt if this engraved at a later time because another side of the shield area is mirror clean.
ybcnd

Re: Is this an English coat of arms?

Post by ybcnd »

ybcnd wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 5:00 pm Image
This is a large piece of Queen Anne porringer, or a trophy due to its size. My query is what is this embossed on it? Looks like a coat of arms or otherwise. I have a hint of doubt if this engraved at a later time because another side of the shield area is mirror clean.
Sasropakis
contributor

Re: Question on this very English coat of arms

Post by Sasropakis »

The one with cross and wheat garbs appears to be the coat of arms of Vernon of Hanbury. Here's a link to the Wikipedia entry of Hanbury Hall where you can see the coat of arms above the entrance:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanbury_Hall

I don't know the other coat of arms but when coat of arms are combined like that they are usually for a married couple (the Vernon coat of arms in this case are for the wife).
ybcnd

Post by ybcnd »

Thank you, Sir. Again, It seemed to me this was engraved at a later time than the porringer was made.
blakstone
contributor

Post by blakstone »

The dexter baron (i.e. husband’s) arms are those of Haywood: argent, three torteaux in bend between two bendlets gules, all within a bordure of the last (crest: on the stump of a tree, a falcon rising, proper), thus Haywood impaling Vernon.

These are the arms of Francis Haywood (1794-1858) of Sillin, co. Worcester and his wife Lucy Vernon (1799-1871), daughter of Thomas Shrawley Vernon of Shrawley and widow of Robert Boulton Waldron; they married in 1826. There are memorials to the couple in St. John the Baptist Church in Feckenham, Worcestershire.

Hope this helps!

Return to “Family Crests”