who is he maker? Paris 1809-1819 tastevin,

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
GiulyF

who is he maker? Paris 1809-1819 tastevin,

Post by GiulyF »

Hy all,
I ask anyone who has the Arminjon (blackstone?!)to be able to check if they can find the reference for this silversmith who I struggle to recognize, LJT the initials, under some tool of the trade that I can't identify.

Sorry to be repetitive with the tastevin....

blakstone
contributor

Re: who is he maker? Paris 1809-1819 tastevin,

Post by blakstone »

The maker is Louis Joseph Thomas [Arminjon I:02411] He was among the handful of makers who entered a mark on the pre-lozenge-form plate in the year V [1787], followed by this lonzenge-shaped mark in 1798. He was listed as largeworker at 31 rue St. Louis and later 28-29 cour Lemoigne. He is last listed in directories in 1822.

Unfortunately, I have able to find no biographical or genealogical information on him beyond an appearance in a Revolutionary-Era citizen’s register stating that he was born in Sence, Macedonia around 1751 and arrived in Paris in 1781.

Hope this helps!
GiulyF

Post by GiulyF »

[quote=blakstone post_id=211540 time=1683829725 user_id=3771]
The maker is Louis Joseph Thomas [Arminjon I:02411] He was among the handful of makers who entered a mark on the pre-lozenge-form plate in the year V [1787], followed by this lonzenge-shaped mark in 1798. He was listed as largeworker at 31 rue St. Louis and later 28-29 cour Lemoigne. He is last listed in directories in 1822.

Unfortunately, I have able to find no biographical or genealogical information on him beyond an appearance in a Revolutionary-Era citizen’s register stating that he was born in Sence, Macedonia around 1751 and arrived in Paris in 1781.

Hope this helps!
[/quote]

Blackstone sure that helps!!! super help, thanks a lot for your kind availability. but is it not possible to edit the text of the Arminjon online? should be taken as a reference text..I'm ironic, but wow, really, we should find a way to satisfy copyright and at the same time offer a valid tool to everyone
blakstone
contributor

Post by blakstone »

These forums provide a great resource for access to references otherwise out of our reach. Alas, there is no digital copy of Arminjon online and they - volumes I & II - are monstrously expensive when they turn up on the resale market. I learned a long time ago to buy important silver references like this when they are first published, because even though they can be pricey, they go out-of-print quickly and will only become more expensive when that happens.
JayT
contributor

Post by JayT »

Agree with Blakstone that is is a wise investment to build a library of reference texts in the fields that interest you. This will help you identify items in your collection, and avoid purchases of dubious objects. I bought Arminjon at a reasonable price when first published. On the second-hand market these volumes are selling for 5x their initial cost.
The solution is to consult Arminjon at your public or university library, follow book auctions to purchase second-hand, or come here to the Forums. Becoming indignant is futile.
As for making Arminjon available digitally, this will never happen in my opinion. Catherine Arminjon and her team negotiated masterfully with the French Ministry of Culture to bring this project to fruition for the benefit of lovers and collectors of French 19th C silver. However, funds were lacking even at the time to produce a top-quality product (yes, I’m talking about the images of the marks), let alone digitize this 2-volume catalogue. As it stands, the digitized Vol. III for post-1878 marks is no longer supported by the Ministry of Culture, and can only be consulted at the French National Library - a great loss.
GiulyF

Post by GiulyF »

[quote=JayT post_id=211621 time=1684088109 user_id=14978]
Agree with Blakstone that is is a wise investment to build a library of reference texts in the fields that interest you. This will help you identify items in your collection, and avoid purchases of dubious objects. I bought Arminjon at a reasonable price when first published. On the second-hand market these volumes are selling for 5x their initial cost.
The solution is to consult Arminjon at your public or university library, follow book auctions to purchase second-hand, or come here to the Forums. Becoming indignant is futile.
As for making Arminjon available digitally, this will never happen in my opinion. Catherine Arminjon and her team negotiated masterfully with the French Ministry of Culture to bring this project to fruition for the benefit of lovers and collectors of French 19th C silver. However, funds were lacking even at the time to produce a top-quality product (yes, I’m talking about the images of the marks), let alone digitize this 2-volume catalogue. As it stands, the digitized Vol. III for post-1878 marks is no longer supported by the Ministry of Culture, and can only be consulted at the French National Library - a great loss.
[/quote]

Dear JayT, <<Becoming indignant is futile.>> As I wrote, I was ironic, I can only imagine what it means to edit a historical volume with images, my reflection came solely from the awareness that if the forum here is my only source, lately it is, of very useful and valid information, tomorrow I could rightly and obviously remain without any feedback if, for example Blackstone has a headache or is unwell or goes on a trip to the Caucasus for two months.... and also because it seems to me that I am squeezing and not giving anything useful in turn....

Return to “French Silver”