18th Belgium silver

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
vervenesilver

18th Belgium silver

Post by vervenesilver »

Hi everybody,

I have this silver coffe pot, can someone help me for the hallmarks please ?

Thnaks !

oel
co-admin

Re: 18th Belgium silver

Post by oel »

Hi,
Your coffee pot.
In my opinion, the unclear marks top to bottom; 1,) crowned year letter, 2,) crowned lion's head for Bruges/Brugge, 3,) partially struck crowned b for Bruges, 4.) unclear maker's mark. Probably made in the last quarter of the 18th century.

Peter.
vervenesilver

Post by vervenesilver »

Thanks Peter,
I'll look in that direction
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Hi,

2nd thoughts, probably not Brugge, we working on it, will get back to you in due time, hopefully with the right information.

Best,

Peter.
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

From Bruges to Brussels
Yes, you may wonder why all these marks are so unclear and not convincing. What is going on?

Hi, your image of the marks cut, enhanced and rotated.

The Brabantian lion or Brussels lion under crown, this particular type of lion mark used 1780- 1785

Town mark Brussels, the head of archangel Saint Michael, from the city coat of arms, the head topped with a cross. This town mark was poorly struck, struck with a damaged punch mark around 1783. Below is another example seen on a pair of candlesticks.

Below the year mark;

The year mark consisting of two figures 83(?) for 1783, unclear.

Maker's mark;
Maker's mark unclear, perhaps a firepot, unknown master, his mark seen on pitcher year letter for 1793, pair of candlesticks for 1789, mustard pot and caster for 1781, coffeepots for 1783, marks at the bottom of the belly coffee pot.

Source; Zilver met Brusselse Keuren by Jacques Vanwittenbergh Brussel 1979
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Herewith the reply of Dr. Wim Nys, Head of Collection and Research DIVA, Museum for diamonds, jewellery and silver.

Based on the material, I cannot endorse either the Bruges track or the Brussels track, despite the fact that the rococo coffee pot is stylistically in line with examples from the Southern Netherlands. I doubt whether these marks are 'genuine': form and content do not correspond to what you might expect.

https://divaantwerp.be/en/home/welcome- ... and-silver

Peter.
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

::::: For Dr. Wim Nys, the end of the analysis occurs once he determined that the form and the content of the hallmarks do not match the authentic hallmarks that he would expect to see, I understand why his analysis would end right then and there :::::

:::::: That being said, do you think this is a case of a duty-dodger? A Belgian silversmith who applied hallmarks to imitate Belgian hallmarks? :::::

:::::: I still think about the history of silver objects even after their hallmarks are deemed not authentic, I understand why experts would end the analysis right then and there, but given that there are so many examples of English duty-dodgers, I always wondered if examples of duty-dodging occur in other countries, and why it's so hard to find duty-dodgers from other countries, but I suppose this could be a piece of Hanau silver, it might not be an example of a Belgian duty-dodger. :::::

Return to “Other Countries”