FBD, unknown silversmith

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
GiulyF

FBD, unknown silversmith

Post by GiulyF »

Hy all,
Could someone who owns the Armijon verify who this Paris silversmith is for the pre-revolutionary period or just after? I say this because on the rim there are also the mark of the titre and garantie for 1798-1809 period for Paris.

A thousand thanks
dognose
Site Admin

Re: FBD, unknown silversmith

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Always show images of all of the marks.

Trev.
GiulyF

Post by GiulyF »

dognose wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:31 am Hi,

Always show images of all of the marks.

Trev.
Sorry you're right
Here they are!!!

blakstone
contributor

Post by blakstone »

As the mark is in a lozenge, it is post-Revolutionary; this form was mandated by the law of 19 Brumaire an VI [9 Nov 1797].

Francois Boutheroue-Desmarais

Born: 7 Aug 1769, Paris, son of silversmith Noel Cesar Boutherue-Desmarais & Angelique Pfaffe
Married: Marie Francoise Lefevre (ca 1775 – 1835)
Died: 31 Dec 1807, Paris

His mark was registered in 1798 and cancelled in 1808 upon his death. He was briefly succeeded by his widow, who seems to have stopped working upon her 1812 marriage to jeweler & wine merchant Christian Henri Scherzer.

See Arminjon I:01071
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

::::: Do you have an opinion on the Boar hallmark? :::::
GiulyF

Post by GiulyF »

Dear balckstone you are wonderfull! and thanks to Catherine Arminjon who did a monumental work.
Regarding the double different punch, I read an interesting post related this time junture in the State,

https://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=191770&hilit=desmarais#p191770

We can assume, the easiest way, that the handle is spurious and the cup later, even if I don't see any welding seams and it looks like a single silver block, otherwise it could be that the boar's head is the only guarantee mark of the title in that tumultuous period in which it seemed that the obligation to punch with charge-dischargeg-punch of the jurande and the silversmith had disappeared.
Moreover Desmarais registered his mark in 1798, this meant that he started to punch from that year right? the boar's head is for 1797..

What's your opinion?
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

::::: I've read a little bit about the boars head mark, there is some mystery around it still, but it is often found on assembled pieces, so it makes sense to find it on a handle that would be later joined to cup-like part, sometimes the boars head is found facing right, sometimes facing left. :::::

::::: I don't know much about it, but it does not make the piece a forgery, it is a genuine secondary mark that may have something to do with the assembly of an object with more than 2 parts, it seems to be rare so perhaps it was not mandatory? :::::
blakstone
contributor

Post by blakstone »

Arminjon includes the boar head with the Head of a Greek Woman as discussed in this thread: Antique French Oil & Vinegar Set; a more specific article on the boar's head may be found here: The Mysterious Boar's Head Mark.

Despite being described as such in several references, there is no evidence that the boar's head was an official mark of the year V [1795], that it was used before 1798, or that it was an official mark of the French assay offices at all (though it may well have been struck by them).

Given that, and that the rest of your marks are entirely consistent with 1798-1809, I see no reason to question that your tastevin is complete and of that period.

Return to “French Silver”