Maker's Mark 'SW' and Date letter 'i'

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
TrevorJ

Maker's Mark 'SW' and Date letter 'i'

Post by TrevorJ »

These images are of the marks on the back of a pocket watch that I am researching. It was clearly assayed in Birmingham and does not have a Duty mark, which means it is after 1890. The date letter'i' suggests 1908 as this was the only year the letter i was used after 1890. (my understanding is that later years skipped the i and went staight from h to j) However the shape of the shield doesn't seem to fit that used 1908.

Also the maker is SW. The only suggestions I have seen are Samuel Whitford II and Samuel Wheatley.

Can anyone confirm or offer other ideas?
dognose
Site Admin

Re: Maker's Mark 'SW' and Date letter 'i'

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Welcome to the Forum.

The year of assay of your watchcase was 1883. Watchcases were exempt from Duty as from 1798 so no Duty mark was applied. The shape of the shield used on watchcases by the Birmingham Assay Office in the 19th century differs from what you will find published in most hallmarking guides.

Sorry, I cannot help with the maker.

Trev.
TrevorJ

Post by TrevorJ »

Many thanks for your prompt and helpful response.

I hadn't realised that watch cases were exempt from duty before 1890, or that the date letters on the Birmingham Assay Office website are not conclusive! I see they show the 1883 'i' as being within an oval.
silvermakersmarks
co-admin

Post by silvermakersmarks »

SW is Solle Warschauer who, in 1883, was trading from Frederick Street in Birmingham as a watch maker and importer.

Phil

Return to “European Jewelry”