Moscow kovsh but mysterious assayer

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
GiulyF

Moscow kovsh but mysterious assayer

Post by GiulyF »

Hy all, I'm wondering to understand the correct hallmarking of this gorgeous presentation kovsh, I think it was pendant withi another similar one, due to the "big" size.
The assayer, according to this this old post (I hope I did correctly in "reposting" it with copy paste) could be Pereselegin from Vilnius? the town mark is undoubtedly Moscow......
blakstone wrote: Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:28 pm Sorry; forgot to answer the other part of your question. While the city marks of Vilnius & Moscow are similar in that they both depict an equestrian figure, Moscow's symbol is St. George and Vilnius' is the Vytis: the White Knight of Lithuania. The initials of the assayer "MP" (tranlisterated from the Cyrillic) clears things up: Mikhail Aleksandrovich Pereselegin, assayer at Vilnius 1888-1891.

The maker it seems Ovchinnikov with the imperial warrant, but I read a a latin F, before the surname, or is it just me?I do not see any other mark on the handle.
Can someone help me?

Qrt.S
contributor

Re: Moscow kovsh but mysterious assayer

Post by Qrt.S »

There are as mentioned some similarities between Moscow's and Vilnius town crests. BUT! Mihail Pereselegin assayed in Vilnius as also mentioned 1888-1891, while Hlebnikov/ХЛЕБНИКОБЪ (the maker's mark on the kovsh!) was active in Moscow. Where from did Ovchinnikov pop up?? I have "bad" feelings regarding the kovsh in the picture! In my mind something is not in place here!
GiulyF

Post by GiulyF »

Qrt.S wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:40 am There are as mentioned some similarities between Moscow's and Vilnius town crests. BUT! Mihail Pereselegin assayed in Vilnius as also mentioned 1888-1891, while Hlebnikov/ХЛЕБНИКОБЪ (the maker's mark on the kovsh!) was active in Moscow. Where from did Ovchinnikov pop up?? I have "bad" feelings regarding the kovsh in the picture! In my mind something is not in place here!
Dear Qrt.S
far be it from me to to have the presumption to say that I am to be prepared on Russian goldsmithing, BUT!!! I am cataloging and therefore handling and studying many Russian kovsh and artefacts, and if many of these are patently false, purely decorative and copies of; others like this, know, smell of ancient and historical "majesty"... ...which I would normally say is a compliment and a gift, but other times it feels more like a wall.
I do not undestand who is the assayer....Pereselegin worked in Vilnius, not Moscow or S.Petersburg...
Mart
contributor

Post by Mart »

Good evening!
These are fake brands.
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

@Dear GiulyF

Correct, assayer Pereselegin worked only in Vilnius as I also mentioned. However, what caught my eyes is that blakstone wrote "The maker seems Ovchinnikov with the imperial warrant..., The maker's mark reads actually ХЛЕБНИКОБЪ, but that has no meaning because Mart verified my suspicions. The kovsh and its marks are faked, ХЛЕБНИКОБЪ never worked in Vilnius. Don't wonder who the assayer or maker are on a fake.
GiulyF

Post by GiulyF »

Qrt.S wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 10:41 am @Dear GiulyF

Correct, assayer Pereselegin worked only in Vilnius as I also mentioned. However, what caught my eyes is that blakstone wrote "The maker seems Ovchinnikov with the imperial warrant..., The maker's mark reads actually ХЛЕБНИКОБЪ, but that has no meaning because Mart verified my suspicions. The kovsh and its marks are faked, ХЛЕБНИКОБЪ never worked in Vilnius. Don't wonder who the assayer or maker are on a fake.
Qrt.S,
Blakstone has no guilt!!! by copying and pasting the previous old post in which Pereselegin was mentioned,it seems that he,Blakstone, was the one who wrote that the silversmith could have been Ovchinnikov, but in reality it's me!
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

OK GiulyF no problem, case clear. The main thing is that unfortunately the kovsh is still a fake regardless of who wrote what!
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Again, the fake punch is cut by someone not familiar with Cyrillic alphabet (a Chinese or an Indian ?).
Not being familiar with Chinese characters, or Arabic, we do not recognize subtle differences in strokes, dots, vertical and horizontal lines…. that`s exactly what happens when they fake Cyrillic letters; they reproduce letters by visual similarity and make mistakes with fakes, particularly in long names. Those full names marks are difficult to cut anyway, and let alone if only visually reproduced without knowing the letters.
Regards

Return to “Russian Silver”