Coffee Pot (Possibly Plated)

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
norwaysilver

Coffee Pot (Possibly Plated)

Post by norwaysilver »

I have this coffee pot and have been unable to determine what the markings signify. It has come down from my family that lived in Arendal, Norway, but I don't know for sure if the piece was purchased there or not. I'm thinking it may be plated since there are no markings identifying it as silver that I can see, but am not positive about that either, it may have been made before marking became compulsory. Any insight about the maker, location of manufacture or age of the coffee pot would be very appreciated.

dognose
Site Admin

Re: Coffee Pot (Possibly Plated)

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Welcome to the Forum.

There appears to be no maker's mark present, only what is likely to be a British Registered Design Number indicating the year 1889:

See: https://www.925-1000.com/registry.html

This indicates the earliest possible date of manufacture only, and the pot may have been made later.

Trev.
norwaysilver

Post by norwaysilver »

Hi,

Thank you very much for your response! I had thought the same thing, but wasn't sure since the diamond mark on the pot seemed to be a slightly different format from the standard British Registered Design Number (no month, day, year, class number, etc.) and I had thought they stopped using the diamond in 1884. As you said, that number seemed to match up with 1889, so I was little confused. This is very good to know! Do you know if there is any way to determine from the marks or lack thereof if it is silver plated or not?

Thanks again!
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi,

I think it is very likely plated. I cannot imagine a manufacturer marking an item with a Design Number, but failing to identify it as silver.

Trev.
norwaysilver

Post by norwaysilver »

Hi,

Perfect, I had suspected it may be plated and it is great to have that confirmed. I also have a plate that I think is likely silver plated, but has even less markings, not even a British Registered Design Number. I may post it as well, but it would probably be very difficult to determine anything about it.

Thanks again for all your help!

Return to “Silverplate Trademarks - Worldwide”