What kind of spoon this is, how it was used, how to translate the inscription?

Denmark, Norway, Sweden, and Finland
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Nata37

What kind of spoon this is, how it was used, how to translate the inscription?

Post by Nata37 »

Hello, please tell me what kind of spoon this is, how it was used, how to translate the inscription?
Image Image
dognose
Site Admin

Re: What kind of spoon this is, how it was used, how to translate the inscription?

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Please post a close-up image of the marks.

Trev.
Qrt.S
contributor

Re: What kind of spoon this is, how it was used, how to translate the inscription?

Post by Qrt.S »

I don’t think the spoon is as old as it seems to be (1511). Maybe a tourist souvenir? Anyway, its outlook is rather typical for the period. It is an ordinary table spoon or maybe a schnapps spoon (?). The text reads HELP OS DI HEILIGE TREI FOLDIG - HTD, being old Scadinavian (?), likely Danish and means something like HELP US THE HOLY TRINITY. The HTD is likely the owner’s (woman) initials where HT is the persons initials and D stand for DATTER (daughter). Sorry, my best shot, cannot do any better...Let's hope somebody else can tell you more.
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

When enlarged enough it clearly shows the mark of David Andersen, Oslo, Norway (1888-1925).
830 S in front of it.
See here:
https://www.925-1000.com/david-andersen_marks.html

There are Scandinavian commemorative spoons of this shape made beginning 20th century; queen of Denmark and Norway was born in 1511. That`s all I can tell.
Regards

Nata37

Post by Nata37 »

dognose wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:02 am Hi,

Please post a close-up image of the marks.

Trev.
Norway, Oslo, the 1888-1925, David Andersen
Nata37

Post by Nata37 »

Qrt.S wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:42 am I don’t think the spoon is as old as it seems to be (1511). Maybe a tourist souvenir? Anyway, its outlook is rather typical for the period. It is an ordinary table spoon or maybe a schnapps spoon (?). The text reads HELP OS DI HEILIGE TREI FOLDIG - HTD, being old Scadinavian (?), likely Danish and means something like HELP US THE HOLY TRINITY. The HTD is likely the owner’s (woman) initials where HT is the persons initials and D stand for DATTER (daughter). Sorry, my best shot, cannot do any better...Let's hope somebody else can tell you more.
The spoon is definitely not old, it is Norway, Oslo, the 1888-1925, David Andersen. I suppose that perhaps a copy of some famous spoon of 1511, I would like to know more.
Nata37

Post by Nata37 »

AG2012 wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:12 am When enlarged enough it clearly shows the mark of David Andersen, Oslo, Norway (1888-1925).
830 S in front of it.
See here:
https://www.925-1000.com/david-andersen_marks.html

There are Scandinavian commemorative spoons of this shape made beginning 20th century; queen of Denmark and Norway was born in 1511. That`s all I can tell.
Regards

Thanks for the help, I think so too, but I would like to know more precisely. Thanks for the help!
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

What "precisely more" would you like to know? There is nothing more to tell. It is a relatively new Danish commemorative spoon, the maker is known, the text is translated....???

Return to “Scandinavian Silver”