Unidentified silversmith

MARK IMAGE REQUIRED
GiulyF

Unidentified silversmith

Post by GiulyF »

Hy all, I can't recognize the silversmith from the lozengue punched on the handle of this tastevin, and also the other 4 marks present under the base which also seem to be by the master silversmith, but of which I can find no evidence. The fact that it is repeated so many times made me think of the famous maitre abonné but the mark was placed 2/3 times and not 4 .... and anyway the fact that there is the Minerva dates it as much much later .. ..any help?

JayT
contributor

Re: Unidentified silversmith

Post by JayT »

Hello
Once again, you have an object that tries to mimic an earlier tastevin. You’re correct that the Minerva and the maker’s mark in a lozenge-shaped reserve are both indicators of post-1838 manufacture. The marks on the base are pure fantasy.
I can’t see the initials in the lozenge-shaped reserve well enough to see if they might be genuine.
Regards
GiulyF

Post by GiulyF »

JayT wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:58 am Hello
Once again, you have an object that tries to mimic an earlier tastevin. You’re correct that the Minerva and the maker’s mark in a lozenge-shaped reserve are both indicators of post-1838 manufacture. The marks on the base are pure fantasy.
I can’t see the initials in the lozenge-shaped reserve well enough to see if they might be genuine.
Regards
Dear JayT yep I imagined that this will be the correct answer, unfortunately. Inside the lozengue I see a VF or VE or NE, the best photo I did is the second one that I already uploaded before..
JayT
contributor

Post by JayT »

Dictionaries of French post-Revolutionary maker’s marks are organized by the first letter of the mark. Therefore if the first letter isn’t clear, you have little chance to find the maker.
Good luck in your research on this item!

Return to “German, French, Dutch, Russian, Scandinavian or Other - Single Image”