Basic information

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
GiulyF

Basic information

Post by GiulyF »

Hy all Russian lovers,
I have doubts about the silver Russian world, and maybe you can help me defeat the "darkness".
For example, the kokoshnik mark, often seen with the silver fineness number therefore 84 or 88 (most of the time), could sometimes appear only as a profile of a woman in an oval cartouche without numbers or Greek letters, I can always call it kokoshnik mark? and what dating to give it?

(admin edit - One item per topic - see Posting Requirements )
Juke*
contributor

Re: Basic information

Post by Juke* »

This is a very typical case how the Russian silver items are marked in the turn of the 19th/20th century and most often is the case also before that so the silversmith marks his/her items with the his/her initials and takes then the items to the assayer who strikes them with the assaying marks. There is the И.C makers mark beside which the assayer has marked with an oval kokoshnik mark (main) on the main body of the object. Then as previously has been described most often the separate parts (soldered etc) are marked with a makers mark and beside which the assayer has marked with a round kokoshik mark (secondary). Everything is correctly marked.
GiulyF

Re: Basic information

Post by GiulyF »

Juke* wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 4:45 am This is a very typical case how the Russian silver items are marked in the turn of the 19th/20th century and most often is the case also before that so the silversmith marks his/her items with the his/her initials and takes then the items to the assayer who strikes them with the assaying marks. There is the И.C makers mark beside which the assayer has marked with an oval kokoshnik mark (main) on the main body of the object. Then as previously has been described most often the separate parts (soldered etc) are marked with a makers mark and beside which the assayer has marked with a round kokoshik mark (secondary). Everything is correctly marked.
Dear Juke top top! Many thanks

Return to “Russian Silver”