S Petersburg kovsh, strange hallmark

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
GiulyF

S Petersburg kovsh, strange hallmark

Post by GiulyF »

Hy all
I can not find anywhere the hallmark punched on the base of this kovsh from S Petersburg.
2 Artel, it's not possible that it's the 2nd artel because it would be 2A, I can't find any evidence from the books, any help?
between the lines there is always the silent motto that half, if not more, of the pieces on the market are giant fakes
I believe that the decoration is en plein enamel on an opaque crimson background

Qrt.S
contributor

Re: S Petersburg kovsh, strange hallmark

Post by Qrt.S »

Strange indeed, but there might be a reason for that
If those are the only marks on the kovsh, it is most likely faked. The handle is a detachable part and according to the law it must carry marks.
Do check the detachable handle soldered to the body. You should find marks on it, if not.....sorry, it's as said a fake! Anyway, if you happen to find any marks on the handle, kindly show them. It might change what is stated above.

The artel 2A (1912-1916) was/is known for its outstanding cloisonné objects. Your kovsh is as you mentioned decorated "en plein"....and the maker's mark ???

Moreover, I'd also like to point out that there is a difference between a hallmark and a maker's mark. The hallmark is the official mark punched in the assay office when the object is assayed and the fineness approved by the official, the assayer. The mark that is punched by the goldsmith/maker is called maker's mark. please do not mix them!

Perhaps this is a good moment to repeat a few important things mentioned here many times before about imperial Russia's silver legislation.

A Russian object made in a valuable metal (silver, gold) and meant for sale must carry markings. Those are the official assaying marks; assayer, year, fineness mark and town mark and of course the maker's mark. All detachable parts, soldered riveted etc. to a marked body must also be marked. There are, however, unmarked object or insufficiently marked objects sometimes seen on the market. Those are:

Objects in general made for personal use but not for sale (e.g. gifts).
Objects for the court, the czar's or his family's personal use (very seldom seen).
Objects made by common/crowd people
Musical instruments, certain tools.
Medical instruments...
Some other rarely seen objects.....

And of course fakes!!!!

Please also note the an object with only an assayer's mark is imported goods meant for sale.
It was also forbidden by law to sell unmarked or incorrectly/insufficiently marked objects!

There would be a lot more to tell but it has been discussed and explained here earlier. Please use the search function and you will find more text.
Last but not least. If you cannot "read" the markings, turn your back, forget it and leave. The current market is crowded with faked imperial Russian silver. Do not either believe in the seller "stories" about the object it origin etc..... Believe only on your own knowledge!
Mart
contributor

Post by Mart »

GiulyF, "The Second art artel" worked in St. Petersburg. "2-я Художественная Артель", "2ХА".
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Hi Mart, if I understand correctly. Genuine Russian kovsh, correct hallmarked, and the maker's mark 2XA for 2nd Artel Sint Petersburg. Can you give us more information about this 2nd Artel in St. Petersburg?

Peter.
GiulyF

Post by GiulyF »

Mart wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 11:16 am GiulyF, "The Second art artel" worked in St. Petersburg. "2-я Художественная Артель", "2ХА".
Dear Mart thank you, so could be the 2nd Artel for you?
"2-я Художественная Артель", "2ХА". what does it mean?
Mart
contributor

Post by Mart »

At the beginning of the 20th century (since about 1906) In Moscow and St. Petersburg, silversmiths began to unite in artels. I think they got the numbers in order. I know 31 artels in Moscow and 8 artels in St. Petersburg. Artels could include "art" in their name to say that they can do things of a higher level. Some artels worked for a very short period of time, and some before the revolution and beyond. Some artels made simple products (forks, spoons), and some products of a very high level. It is necessary not to confuse jewelry and silver artels having the same numbers - these are completely different workshops.
In some artels, former silversmiths Faberge, Lorie, etc. worked.
I don't have any special information about "2ХА". I think it opened around 1909 and worked until 1917. The products of the artel that I met are tokens, tableware with crystal, etc.
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

@ Mart, great work, thank you very much for the information.
@Giulyf, congrats with your authentic Russian kovsh!

See;
https://www.silvercollection.it/dictionaryartels.html
https://www.google.com/search?q=2nd+art ... 2&dpr=1.25

Peter.

Return to “Russian Silver”