11th Artel?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
GiulyF

11th Artel?

Post by GiulyF »

Hy all,
I was reading about the 11th Artel old topics published and I haven't been able to dispel the doubt I have about a hallmark that I believe is from 11 Artel but I would like to have your expert opinion. it is a kovsh decorated with cloisonné enamels

The symbol is "AII" and not the contrary "IIA", as it should be...but we know that there are many variations .. any advice on this?
AG2012
contributor

Re: 11th Artel?

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
Unfortunately, kokoshnik mark is wrong, over-struck with 88 fineness. Cannot guarantee that everything is a fake (most likely it is) but certainly not authentic Imperial Russian kovsh of the period.

Regards
GiulyF

Post by GiulyF »

AG2012 wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:00 am Hi,
Unfortunately, kokoshnik mark is wrong, over-struck with 88 fineness. Cannot guarantee that everything is a fake (most likely it is) but certainly not authentic Imperial Russian kovsh of the period.

Regards
Dear AG2012 no come on why do you say that? it's important to be accurate, especially in the antiques market...why are you convinced that the kokoschnik hallmark is fake? 88 is a good and excellent fineness of silver
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Wrong, faked mark ! Faked item ! It takes time and years of collecting to examine many authentic marks and items to judge a particular set of marks and craftmanship.This kokoshnik is so distorted it screams ``fake``. Not even assay office letter is seen.
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

The second artel's punch was 2A and not IIA or AII. Draw you own conclusions.
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

Sorry, forgot to mention:
In case you believe, that this would be the 11 artel, its punch was 11M.A.
Silverstone
contributor

Post by Silverstone »

Dear GiulyF,

sometimes, when you want to buy objects, you are standing in front oft them and you wish they would talk.
This is the main thrilling part about it, because you see something in them and you desperately try to find out what it is.

When you want to buy an object, the main thing is to look at the material and the hallmarks.
You are a "young collector" and I want to give you an advice:
Look, look, look!
You have to train your eye.
Touch the objects and feel the quality with your own hands.
When you look at many objects, you will discover different things.
Over time you have subconsciously built a photographic library in your head.
Compare!
Buy books!
Whatever comes on information is a bonus!

All these experiences develope in a time to your „personal guide“.

Don't search masterpieces!
Beginn with small objects.

Look at my foto of a hallmark from a little napkin ring.
A perfect hallmark!
If you understand my advice, compare it with the hallmarks on your objects and you'll find out the answer.
Good luck!

Regards
Silverstone
GiulyF

Post by GiulyF »

Silverstone wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 1:22 pm Dear GiulyF,

sometimes, when you want to buy objects, you are standing in front oft them and you wish they would talk.
This is the main thrilling part about it, because you see something in them and you desperately try to find out what it is.

When you want to buy an object, the main thing is to look at the material and the hallmarks.
You are a "young collector" and I want to give you an advice:
Look, look, look!
You have to train your eye.
Touch the objects and feel the quality with your own hands.
When you look at many objects, you will discover different things.
Over time you have subconsciously built a photographic library in your head.
Compare!
Buy books!
Whatever comes on information is a bonus!

All these experiences develope in a time to your „personal guide“.

Don't search masterpieces!
Beginn with small objects.

Look at my foto of a hallmark from a little napkin ring.
A perfect hallmark!
If you understand my advice, compare it with the hallmarks on your objects and you'll find out the answer.
Good luck!

Regards
Silverstone
Dear Silverstone thank you very much for the kindness and the suggest, I’m a curator of a rich heterogeneous collection and some pieces are doubtful, although I am quite an expert on the subject, I do not know Russian goldsmith history at all so well and therefore I am ok with studying, observing and also getting my own personal idea, I wanted to join you all as expert team, to have a disenchanted and objective opinion...in any case I know pretty well the auction house's world and I can assure that the market is full of fake, spurious or not genuine or overestimated, ignored, pieces …

Return to “Russian Silver”