Mystery Item

What was this used for? - PHOTO REQUIRED
silverly

Mystery Item

Post by silverly »

Recently purchased item. No idea of its use & etc. It measures a little over two inches long. The previous owner said he was unable to open it. I'll be trying to open it with heat on one end and ice on the other when it is received. Image
AG2012
contributor

Re: Mystery Item

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
Something to do with inkstand;pounce-pot. Let us know when you open it.
Regards
silverly

Post by silverly »

Seems like a good suggestion. I’ll be sure to pass on whatever is learned once it’s in my hands which is expected to be today. Thanks indeed.
wev
contributor

Post by wev »

Might be way off, but my grandmother had a similarly shaped item in porcelain. Under the cap was a sponge for moistening postage stamps. If it is that, it would explain why the lid is stuck on.
silverly

Post by silverly »

Another good thought. As happens with the post office, the item is delayed, so hopefully it won’t take too much longer. Thank you.
dragonflywink
co-admin

Post by dragonflywink »

Are you sure it opens? Looks to me like the stopper for a bottle or decanter...

~Cheryl
wev
contributor

Post by wev »

dragonflywink wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:27 am Are you sure it opens? Looks to me like the stopper for a bottle or decanter...

~Cheryl
I agree; that does seem the likeliest idea, given the monogram and the orientation of the marks on the neck.
silverly

Post by silverly »

dragonflywink wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:27 am Are you sure it opens? Looks to me like the stopper for a bottle or decanter...

~Cheryl
Not sure at all about it opening and maybe that's why the last owner couldn't. The smaller section has a line around it that gave me the impression it could have something to do with reinforcement for threads. I don't see wear marks in the images that suggest a stopper and why not just a single piece if that's what it is. Nevertheless, I can't discount anything at this point. Thank you for the input Cheryl.

The placement of the monogram makes the top apparent, and for me the shape suggests it goes into something. Still, I have no firm idea at all about its use.

I won't get it in my hands before Tuesday of next week at the earliest now. Our mail is astonishing fast most of the time, but unfortunately not always.
dragonflywink
co-admin

Post by dragonflywink »

Would guess the manufacturer intended your stopper for a piece either silver or with a silver mouth - the one shown below likely intended for a piece with a glass mouth:

~Cheryl
silverly

Post by silverly »

Well that completely solves the mystery. Thank you Cheryl. I have to admit I was enjoying the idea of opening this thing and finding something amazing in it. In the end it is preferable to know exactly what it is. Thanks again.

Return to “Mystery Objects”