Makers Mark

Item must be marked "Sterling" or "925"
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
shub33

Makers Mark

Post by shub33 »

Does anyone recognize the maker’s mark on this sterling cocktail fork? It is a lower case e in a shield. The mark was double stamped.

philbianc

Re: Makers Mark

Post by philbianc »

Don't know the mark but good photographs. How did you post them? I can not do so. Thanks, Phil
shub33

Post by shub33 »

Phil, @philblanc, I use another free website called posyimiages.org where they offer image hosting.
philbianc

Post by philbianc »

Good deal. Much success on your search
shub33

Post by shub33 »

Still looking for who the "e" maker's mark on this, anyone?
silverly

Post by silverly »

I believe this piece of flatware is by Ellmore and is in the pattern known as Georgian Bead.
shub33

Post by shub33 »

Thank you kindly @silverly!
silverly

Post by silverly »

My pleasure. You are welcome.
dragonflywink
co-admin

Post by dragonflywink »

The 'Georgian Bead' (aka 'Marlborough'/Queen of Scots') was originally introduced in 1895 by Frank M. Whiting - at some point started researching the various connections between Whiting, Amston/Arthur Stuart, Concord, Ellmore, and eventually Crown Silver, with various patterns produced bearing different marks (can't recall seeing Crown marks on those different patterns, but they've been noted as owning the Frank M. Whiting flatware dies after Ellmore's 1960 demise). Didn't get too far, and doubt that I'll find time to delve any further in the near future, but do have in my files a 1936 advertisement for Whiting's 1932 'Troubador' pattern as a Concord Silversmiths pattern, pre-dating the supposed 1939/40 Ellmore acquisition of those companies and others, though Ellmore was noted as founded 'circa 1935'.

Don't believe your mark is a lower case 'e', but a 'C' that I've run across several times on flatware in those various connected patterns - suspect it is likely an unattributed Concord Silversmiths mark, probably when a division of Ellmore...

Believe this is your mark, this example found on a Whiting/Ellmore 1944 'Adams' pattern piece:

~Cheryl
silverly

Post by silverly »

This may be spelled out elsewhere, but if not W & S Blackinton may be added to the list of Ellmore Silver Company divisions. It was acquired in 1938.

Return to “Sterling Manufacturers ~ American after-1860”