A ladle, possibly from Dresden

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Georg

A ladle, possibly from Dresden

Post by Georg »

Hi,

I have got a ladle, which is most likely German, and probably made in Dresden (see photo below).
On the other side of the handle there are three marks, which I present below.
The upper left mark is similar to other Dresden marks I have found with the exception that 12 and D was swapped, 12 meaning probably 12 loth silver (750/1000). I do not know the time period over which this mark was used (if it is really from Dresden).
The upper right mark (HR? JCR?) is probably the makers' but it is also unknown to me.
The mark down is probably the date letter. Unfortunately, they cycled through alphabet so the letters repeat periodically.
Based on what I have found this may be 1805 or 1835 but for instance Rosenberg gives slighttly different years.
Any help with the marks deciphering will be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

G>
oel
co-admin

Re: A ladle, possibly from Dresden

Post by oel »

Hi Georg, indeed town mark of Dresden, I believe the maker's mark could read CHR script for: Christian Heinrich Rossbach, around 1810. Let us wait for Theoderich to confirm.

Peter.

Source; Theoderich's silberpuntze
Theoderich
contributor

Post by Theoderich »

oel wrote: Hi Georg, indeed town mark of Dresden, I believe the maker's mark could read CHR script for: Christian Heinrich Rossbach, around 1810. Let us wait for Theoderich to confirm.
Yes, I aggree with you,
Dresden F=1810, CHR = Christian Heinrich Rossbach, master 1795, oo 20.Mai 1797 (Kreuzkirche). In 1810 he was "Oberältester" in Dresden.
He was the son of Adam Roßbach, goldsmith in Gotha.
Georg

Post by Georg »

Hi again,

That was helpful indeed.
Many thanks to both of you, for your time and knowledge.

Kind regards,

G.
blakstone
contributor

Post by blakstone »

Rossbach was buried in Dresden 24 Dec 1830 at the age of 63 (thus born ca. 1767).
Theoderich
contributor

Post by Theoderich »

blakstone wrote:Rossbach was buried in Dresden 24 Dec 1830 at the age of 63 (thus born ca. 1767).
This information is helpful. I thank You blakstone.

Return to “German Silver”