Need help to id maker of a gold ring

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Valdemar

Need help to id maker of a gold ring

Post by Valdemar »

Hey folks!
I have a great hobby of treasure hunting. I found this ring using my metal detector last summer near Toronto , Canada. I just want to know more about my find. I found it in the forest near the lake. This place was a quite popular spot for picnics in the early years of 20th century. The ring is 10K gold with the dark green stone. The hallmark has the shape of face and consists of the omega letter and some dots as you can see in the picture. It would be great if somebody from the forum could help to id the manufacturer and the time whet it was made. Thank you in advance for giving a hand.
Image Image
silvermakersmarks
co-admin

Re: Need help to id maker of a gold ring

Post by silvermakersmarks »

Your images are not showing. https://postimages.org is recommended (click 'Share', then copy and paste the 'Hotlink for forums' code to embed your images). Do not use Google, Photobucket or Dropbox.

Please ensure that you embed your images rather than posting links and remember to use the 'Preview' button before submitting your post. If your images don't show up there we won't be able to see them either.

Phil
Valdemar

Post by Valdemar »

Valdemar

Post by Valdemar »

silvermakersmarks wrote:Your images are not showing. https://postimages.org is recommended (click 'Share', then copy and paste the 'Hotlink for forums' code to embed your images). Do not use Google, Photobucket or Dropbox.

Please ensure that you embed your images rather than posting links and remember to use the 'Preview' button before submitting your post. If your images don't show up there we won't be able to see them either.

Phil
Thank you, Phill!
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Two makers were known to use a 'S' contained within a 'C', Ciner & Steeleman of New York, and Sidney Cowdrill of Toronto.

Given your location, Perhaps Sidney Cowdrill is the candidate?

Trev.
dragonflywink
co-admin

Post by dragonflywink »

This may be a poorly struck Canada national mark for items of fully Canadian manufacture - a crown surrounded by a 'C' (lion-head on silver) used from 1934 until 1978 when changed to a maple leaf surrounded by 'C' on both gold and silver. It's often misidentified, especially when found without a maker's mark, as a Caron Brothers trademark, theirs being a '3' surrounded by a 'C'...

~Cheryl
Valdemar

Post by Valdemar »

dognose wrote:Hi,

Two makers were known to use a 'S' contained within a 'C', Ciner & Steeleman of New York, and Sidney Cowdrill of Toronto.

Given your location, Perhaps Sidney Cowdrill is the candidate?

Trev.
Hey Trevor!!!
Thanks a lot for the information you found.
I checked the maker's mark more carefully it is really C and s inside. I think it was made in Toronto by Sidney Cowdrill cause the spot where I found it is the north part of GTA (Greater Toronto Area). From 1900 till 1928 it was a very popular spot for picnics and winter fun among Torontonians. After 1928 it was forgotten cause the railway company went to bankruptcy and it became difficult to come there. The manufacturer's time of work is 1920-s according to Antique jewelry Catalog. So everything is matching. Now my find is more valuable for me.
Thanks a lot one more time! You are number1!
Valdemar.
Valdemar

Post by Valdemar »

dragonflywink wrote:This may be a poorly struck Canada national mark for items of fully Canadian manufacture - a crown surrounded by a 'C' (lion-head on silver) used from 1934 until 1978 when changed to a maple leaf surrounded by 'C' on both gold and silver. It's often misidentified, especially when found without a maker's mark, as a Caron Brothers trademark, theirs being a '3' surrounded by a 'C'...

~Cheryl
Hey Cheryl!
Thank for your participation. I think that Trevor nailed it down. Many things are matching if we take as a manufacturer Sidney Cowdrill ( Toronto). https://www.langantiques.com/university ... ll-sidney/
Your version is very interesting that is true.
All the best!
Valdemar.
dragonflywink
co-admin

Post by dragonflywink »

Was simply a suggestion, since even with trying to make your mark image a bit sharper, my worn out old eyes can't see a clear 'S', and having never seen an actual Sydney Cowdrill mark, but having run across numerous examples of the Canadian national marks on both silver and gold over the years, noticed the resemblance and thought it worth mentioning.

If anyone else might be interested, am posting three examples of some of the variants of the crown-in-C mark on gold rings - one of Detroit-based maker Traub's 'Orange Blossom' line, their Canadian manufactured pieces initially by Sansburn-Pashley Mfg. across the bridge in Windsor, Traub Mfg. later opening their own Windsor location (ring also stamped RD1936), another bearing a different maker's mark, and one with only the quality and national mark.

Your mark:

~Cheryl
Valdemar

Post by Valdemar »

dragonflywink wrote:Was simply a suggestion, since even with trying to make your mark image a bit sharper, my worn out old eyes can't see a clear 'S', and having never seen an actual Sydney Cowdrill mark, but having run across numerous examples of the Canadian national marks on both silver and gold over the years, noticed the resemblance and thought it worth mentioning.

If anyone else might be interested, am posting three examples of some of the variants of the crown-in-C mark on gold rings - one of Detroit-based maker Traub's 'Orange Blossom' line, their Canadian manufactured pieces initially by Sansburn-Pashley Mfg. across the bridge in Windsor, Traub Mfg. later opening their own Windsor location (ring also stamped RD1936), another bearing a different maker's mark, and one with only the quality and national mark.

Your mark:

~Cheryl
Hey Cheryl!
I can hear you quite well cause my 50 years old eyes didn't see that small "s" inside either . I thought they were several dots in this area. The keen eyesight of Trevor could help really well in this case and it was crucial there. Thank you for posting pictures of the other variants that could help in this situation. I found them interesting. As a thanks for participation and giving a hand I am posting the pictures of postcards of the site where I found the ring. (Without full name cause of the competition). The people on the picture called themselves pleasure seekers at that time. This ring is not less not more - the pleasure seekers' loss. They had really great time then and even now, after 100 years, their fun echoes here in this forum.
With best regard from Canada!!!
Valdemar.
https://postimages.org/]Image[/url]
https://postimages.org/]Image[/url]

Return to “Gold Marks - Worldwide”