Are these Schleissner marks (Hanau)?

MARK IMAGE REQUIRED
AllSeasons

Are these Schleissner marks (Hanau)?

Post by AllSeasons »

I just purchased another Hanau piece that I thought was really neat. Yea, one of these days I'll stop my addiction. Anyway, I think this is a Hanau piece for export, since it says "GERMANY". I believe it's a question mark (?) on the right, which is indicative of Schleissner. Even though they've been in business since 1817, according to this website, the crescent moon and crown would put it after 1886. I can't quite tell the letters between the crescent moon/crown and the 800 mark. Is the Schleissner attribution correct? Any other insight into this piece would also be helpful. Thank you in advance, as always. The image is below.

Also, how much would it cost to fix a small-medium sized crack? I've gotten estimates from a Seattle-based jeweler/silversmith before that cost a few hundred dollars to fix a few dents, which was definitely sticker shock. Is this how much it usually runs? Thank you.

Bahner
contributor

Re: Are these Schleissner marks (Hanau)?

Post by Bahner »

Hello, what does the seller say ? Is that the only mark image he is showing ? Regards Bahner
AllSeasons

Post by AllSeasons »

Bahner wrote:Hello, what does the seller say ? Is that the only mark image he is showing ? Regards Bahner
Thank you for the reply. Unfortunately, I don't have any other hallmark photos from the seller. I'm still waiting for the item to arrive in the mail, so I don't have access to it yet to take a picture of the marks myself. But if it helps, I've shared an image of the item itself below. Cheers!

AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
The mark on the right is definitively Schleissner sickle mark; crescent and crown and 800 twice are good enough.
I am not sure whether glass insert is missing. It was die stamped and the inside surface is too plain with concave, depressed décor to be left like that, i.e. without glass insert.Sometimes it`s not easy to tell whether a glass insert existed or not, small details in the décor inside the openwork are indicative. The rim here looks ``unfinished`` and sharp indicating there was a glass insert.
Small dents are easy to fix on the stake, as well as the crack with spot welding. Using jeweller`s torch is more demanding because it takes heating up the whole item, otherwise heating only desired spot would not work, i.e. hard solder will not melt. You can take the close up image of the crack when the basket arrives.
Regards
AllSeasons

Post by AllSeasons »

AG2012 wrote:Hi,
The mark on the right is definitively Schleissner sickle mark; crescent and crown and 800 twice are good enough.
I am not sure whether glass insert is missing. It was die stamped and the inside surface is too plain with concave, depressed décor to be left like that, i.e. without glass insert.Sometimes it`s not easy to tell whether a glass insert existed or not, small details in the décor inside the openwork are indicative. The rim here looks ``unfinished`` and sharp indicating there was a glass insert.
Small dents are easy to fix on the stake, as well as the crack with spot welding. Using jeweller`s torch is more demanding because it takes heating up the whole item, otherwise heating only desired spot would not work, i.e. hard solder will not melt. You can take the close up image of the crack when the basket arrives.
Regards
Thank you for confirming the Schleissner attribution. That's a really good point about the insert - I hadn't noticed it until you mentioned it. I asked the seller, and he said he doesn't have it. So if it indeed had an insert, it's gone missing, unfortunately.

Here's a picture of the crack. It's not huge, but it's definitely there.

Return to “German, French, Dutch, Russian, Scandinavian or Other - Single Image”