Mid 18th c. Scottish spoon?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
ionicorder

Mid 18th c. Scottish spoon?

Post by ionicorder »

Any opinions on the town, maker, and approximate date for this spoon, believed to be Scottish, possibly Tain? Provenance from Skye, mid 18th c., but like much early west coast silver it may have been imported and if so, most likely from France.
The marks are very rubbed so I've tried to capture what looks like the town mark in slightly different cross lights. The shield shape around it is distinctive - a sort of duffle-coat-toggle shape. The mark to the right looks scored, but could possibly be a thistle one way up, or a face the other.
Many thanks.
Aguest
contributor

Re: Mid 18th c. Scottish spoon?

Post by Aguest »

::::: French 1819-1838 with the medium guarantee from Paris. :::::
::::: The makers mark is so worn I think I see "Joachim" but the pics are playing tricks on my eyes & you have the best chance of figuring out what the letters are in that diamond-shaped cartouche. ::::
ionicorder

Post by ionicorder »

Many thanks Aguest,

I’ve tried again upside down just in case that makes the maker’s name more legible, but beyond looking like a four- or five- letter mark it’s almost impossible to make out what they are.
I don’t suppose it helps the identification that only one of the set of seven has hallmarks? The others have nothing at all, but perhaps this was a regular occurrence?

blakstone
contributor

Post by blakstone »

I think it likely that the mark is that of Charles Salomon Mahler: see here, about halfway down

Charles-Salomon Mahler

Born: ca 1786, Paris, son of Jean Mahler & Jeanne Christine Moench
Married 1st: 23 Nov 1816, Elizabeth Francoise Wallner (1798-1817)
Married 2nd: 5 Apr 1823, Marie Francoise Meurice (ca 1805-1889)
Died: 21 Dec 1845, Paris

He was a prolific flatware maker of the Restauration and July Monarchy. There have been some posts on him; see French Sugar Sifter of 1830 and Unknown (to me). It is not be noted that his second wife, Marie Francoise Meurice, was the half-sister of the celebrated goldsmith Francois-Desire Froment-Meurice (1802-1855).

Hope this helps!
ionicorder

Post by ionicorder »

Excellent!
Yes, if the letters are small like Mahler’s it could certainly start with MA and end with an R, while the C above and dot below explain the shape of the reserve, so that looks pretty conclusive.
Many thanks indeed to Blakstone. That’s very satisfying.

Return to “French Silver”