Georg Roth cup

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
AllSeasons

Georg Roth cup

Post by AllSeasons »

I recently acquired this cup, whose hallmarks I believe point to Georg Roth. I have practically stopped my silver purchases for now, but just couldn't pass this one up, because it looked really interesting. This is probably a dumb question, but what kind of cup is it? It's likely missing a liner of some sort, since there're holes on the sides. Given the repousse depictions of the 2 drinking buddies, I assume it's a vessel used for alcoholic beverages. I'm not sure what type of beverage, though. It's not a tankard, so likely not beer or mead. Likely wine? Also, why would it have a liner? Perhaps it's a presentation cup of some sort, and not really intended for everyday use? Any light you can help shed on this would be greatly appreciated. Also, a ballpark dating of the piece would be great. I'm guessing a little later, circa 1900, due to the crescent moon and crown.

Anyway, any insight into this piece would be appreciated. Thank you in advance, as always. The images are below.

AG2012
contributor

Re: Georg Roth cup

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
Most likely wine cup with missing glass liner. I doubt there was a set of six; just a decorative wine cup for display or for special occasions. Not much mystery here. Your dating is correct.
Regards
AllSeasons

Re: Georg Roth cup

Post by AllSeasons »

Great, thank you!

Return to “German Silver”