Help identifying please number 2

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
MarinaM

Help identifying please number 2

Post by MarinaM »

This one is another spoon, again looking through the list, I could not see any makers listed that names start with the Russian 'u'? I am also not sure if from this anyone can tell where it was made? Thank you.
Mart
contributor

Re: Help identifying please number 2

Post by Mart »

Unfortunately, these are fake brands.
Alternatively, the spoon could have been made by Russian silversmiths who were in exile. (Harbin city?)
MarinaM

Post by MarinaM »

Thank you, yes my grandmother lived in Harbin for quite some time! In fact both of my parents were born in China. So this was a silversmith who also fled Russia, interesting. I do know a lot Russians set up their businesses in Harbin and Shanghai.
Mart
contributor

Post by Mart »

These are interesting facts that strengthen the versions about the place of manufacture of products with such brands. Thanks!
MarinaM

Post by MarinaM »

Thank you Mart. I think I may have a few things that were made in Harbin, this set of spoons for example, I was able to find an article with some info on the maker Ivan Kaspe. I have a question if you don't mind please. Am I correct in thinking that if there is no city mark on the piece, then I can presume it was made by a Russian silversmith in China?
From the article:
"When the Japanese invaded Harbin, law and order collapsed, endangering domestic safety. Another wave of Russians fled to Brisbane. Ivan Kaspe, one of the major retailers in Harbin, became a French National. Very occasionally silver with his stamp and in his department store’s box surfaces in Australia. Sadly, his son was kidnapped and killed shortly after the Japanese occupation in 1932.
There is little difference stylistically between the silver produced by these silversmiths before and after the cataclysm. Frequently Harbin silver is polished and gilded on the interior of the spoon bowls and fork tynes, while the rest of the surface is matted, or pounced, rather like the surface on brushed stainless steel. Russian and Harbin silver characteristically retains traces of zinc giving it a slightly greyish cast. Sometimes the designs on Harbin silverware were enriched with gilding in two colour gold: yellow and pink. Harbin silver is usually decorated either in the doomed foliate Art Nouveau style or in the Panslavic (Old Russian) style."
Mart
contributor

Post by Mart »

Thank you for the information!
I think that it is necessary to consider each specific product separately. Not genuine stamps can be not only from products from China.
Mart
contributor

Post by Mart »

Please show the whole set of spoons, if possible
MarinaM

Post by MarinaM »

My apologies, as it turns out I only have 3 Ivan Kaspe spoons, I thought it was 6, but after your question and on closer inspection for the photo, I realised that 3 of them have different markings completely! They look so similar, I just assumed they were the same set. Photos below. I do thank you for all your help!
Mart
contributor

Post by Mart »

Thank you!
All the best!

Return to “Russian Silver”