Henderson marks

MARK IMAGE REQUIRED
AllSeasons

Henderson marks

Post by AllSeasons »

I need the forum's help again with attributing more marks. This one is marked "HENDERSON" and a few other retailer (?) marks. I found a few silversmiths with the Henderson last name from Poughkeepsie, NY. I think they're all related, but am not sure. The main one, I believe, is Adam Henderson. Then there is John W. Henderson and Oliver Samuel Henderson; I believe they may be the sons of Adam Henderson. What's peculiar is that Adam Henderson usually marked his work with "A. HENDERSON", but this one is just marked "HENDERSON". Can I safely assume that the "HENDERSON" mark can still be attributed to Adam Henderson (or maybe one of his sons)?

Then there's also the other marks, which I believe belong to a retailer. However, I was not able to find information on these marks, which include a star, face, and an anchor. Any help with identification would be great.

Lastly, just wanted to make sure that this is indeed coin silver.

An image of the marks is below. Thank you in advance, as always.

wev
contributor

Re: Henderson marks

Post by wev »

Henderson is the retailer, not the maker. The additional marks are the wholesale arm of John Wolf Forbes and his successor, James Ward Beebe of NYC. The attribution to Adam Henderson has been put forward, but not confirmed, so "possibly" is all that can be assumed.

Yes, coin silver.
AllSeasons

Re: Henderson marks

Post by AllSeasons »

Perfect, thank you. I got the maker and retailer flipped, LOL!

Return to “American Sterling & Coin Silver - Single Image”