Simon Lissim Denmark brooch

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
NancyCaroline

Simon Lissim Denmark brooch

Post by NancyCaroline »

Hi Everyone,
I recently bought this sterling brooch and strangely cannot find another piece of jewelry made by this designer.
Although I've found many pieces by C Sorensen & Son, I cannot find a single piece of jewelry designed by Simon Lissim. I did find this design in the form of a paperweight held in the Cooper Hewitt Collection. Lissim appears to have worked primarily in porcelain & oil painting.
I'm intrigued and wonder if anyone might have information to share. Thanks for looking!
Nancy
Image[ur
Last edited by oel on Tue Oct 11, 2022 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed advertisement link
AG2012
contributor

Re: Simon Lissim Denmark brooch

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
Designed by Simon Lissim, American /Ukrainian
Born, Kiev, Russia at the time, 1900. Lissim left Russia in 1919 and moved to Paris where he resided until 1940. In all of Lissim's designs, his appreciation for nature is apparent in his use of fish, birds, flowers, and other motifs.
In 1921, he began designing scenery and costumes for the Theatre de l'Oeuve in Paris. In 1924, he created his first designs for the Sevres porcelain factory. His relationship with Sevres lasted for more than 40 years and some of his designs are still being produced. His work achieved a gold medal at the 1929 Exposition Internationale Des Arts Decoratifs et Industriels Modernes in Barcelona. Lissim made his first journey to the United States in 1935, and by 1936, his designs for the theater were featured in exhibitions in this country. His porcelains were featured in exhibitions at The Smith College Museum of Art, 1939, and Georg Jensen, Inc., 1941.
Lissim became Head of the Art Education Project at the New York Public Library in 1942. In 1947 he began teaching at the City Univerity of New York's City College campus, where he also designed commencement costumes for the Chancellor, President, and Chief Marshal. In 1952, Lissim became an art consultant for Castleton China, Inc. in New Castle, Pennsylvania. His work was featured in the exhibition, "A Designer's Interpretation of Nature", held at the American Museum of Natural History in New York in 1953. In 1954, Lissim created his first silver pieces of jewelry and flatware manufactured by Carl Sorensen & Son, Copenhagen, Denmark.In the early 60s, Lissim created three designs for plates that were executed by Claude Boulme. He continued to work and hold exhibitions at his studio in Dobbs Ferry, New York, until his death in 1981.
NancyCaroline

Re: Simon Lissim Denmark brooch

Post by NancyCaroline »

Thanks so much for the info!
Interesting, seems he did very little in jewelry.
Funny the things you find at flea markets:)
Nancy

Return to “European Jewelry”