Hallmarks on a silver hilted smallsword

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
BlueandGilt

Hallmarks on a silver hilted smallsword

Post by BlueandGilt »

I have a French small sword that dates to about 1750 - 1767 going by the makers mark on the blade:

Translation: "Guyon (the elder) for The King of China, St Michel Bridge, Paris". The King of China is likely a shop name.

Although this is not conclusive as blades and hilts were swapped around. However there are three stamps on one of the annelets, one looks like a crown over a V

The middle one is indistinguishable to me, but maybe an experienced person can make sense of it:

The third one has a clear E and I think this is a makers mark?

Detail of the guard face:

Thank you in advance.
JayT
contributor

Re: Hallmarks on a silver hilted smallsword

Post by JayT »

Hello and welcome to the forum.
The hilt of your small sword is made of 950 standard silver as indicated by a date letter mark of a crowned V (poinçon de jurande) for Paris, 1760. The initial “E” appears to be a partial maker’s mark, but you’d need at least another letter and a symbol to make an attribution.
As I’m sure you know, Guyon l’Ainé was a small sword blade maker. You have knowledge that he was active 1750-1767. There is concordance therefore between the date on the hilt and the dates of Guyon’s activity. Au Roi de Chine is the retailer, at the location of Pont Saint-Michel in Paris. The blade itself is not made of silver.
Good luck in your research on this item.
Regards
BlueandGilt

Post by BlueandGilt »

Thank you JayT for the detailed reply that is very helpful and good to know that the blade and hilt fit in the same timeframe.
JayT
contributor

Post by JayT »

My pleasure to help.

Return to “French Silver”